Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Student should have been suspended for speaking Spanish?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10393757/

Do you think Zach Rubio should have been suspended for speaking Spanish at school? * 15004 responses

Yes. Students should speak English at school because it is America's dominant language.
    42%

No. American schools should show appreciation for multilingual citizens.
    54%

I'm not sure.
    4%

I posted my opinion of this below the article regarding it. I'm anxious to see what others say, though. And I was one of the "nay-sayers" in this poll, I'm afraid. I'm not ashamed to say it because that is my opinion but I can see why the topic is interesting to those of us who want English to be recognized as the USA's official language. And I still believe English should be the official language.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I dont think he should have been suspended for simply speaking spanish. But if he was told not to, then I agree that he should be disciplined. Who knows whether they are using the 'f' word or any other nasty words. And I did get fed up when certain people around me at work, would jibber-jabber in spanish. I thought it was rude.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Oh, I agree with that Butterbean. And I think people who jibber jabber at work in foreign languages just to be rude should be ostracized by every American regardless of whether or not we speak the language they are talking. Because in that setting, it is just plain rude.

But kicking kids out of school is quite another matter. We have enough juvenile delinquents on the streets already without kicking them all out of school. Now, kicking them out of the country if they are illegal is perfectly acceptable to me, though.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by JuniusJnr
    "Now, kicking them out of the country if they are illegal is perfectly acceptable to me, though."
    I AGREE!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Let's be a little realistic. Obviously we should be teaching our classes in English, with the exception of foreign languages. I absolutely believe our government should communicate in our native language (English). However, in a bathroom, on your own time, in a public place that is just fine and is part of diversity.

Additionally, having been a foreign exchange student for a year in Germany, upon my return to the US, I naturally responded to people in German if I was spoken to in German without thinking (teachers and students from Germany).

Also, just becuase someone tells you not to do something, in this case speak spanish in school, doesn't make it a valid rule. Even if that person is in charge. Does that mean we never challenge anything our leaders tell us and live our lives in whatever world they determine is best for us?

It was not in writing and therefore smells arbitrary and of personal belief systems.

I think Mr Rubio has hit the nail on the head. If the rule was important enough to enforce a suspension, it is important enough for the school board to put it in writing.

I understand and agree with preserving a common language, but think it is completely fine and desirable for every community to have their immigrant populations preserve their native tongue and culture amongst their own community and in their own homes. It will naturally spill to some degree into the public domain. I think that is a good thing as long as it is not forced on us and they can function in our society without us having to bend over backwards so they can function on a daily basis with no effort on their part to learn our system.

Illegal immigrants presumably came here because of the benefits of our culture. If we completely alter our culture to where they come from, everyone loses the benefits that made this a wonderful place to begin with.

For the record, I am as conservative as they come. I believe in strong immigration laws and enforcement, but taking frustrations out on a natural born citizen and his legal immigrant now American father is ridiculous.

If it is ok to now go after people who follow our laws, then how far back do owe go to determine if someone merits actual protection under our laws with out cultural angst?

Welcome Firebear.

W

Do you think Zach Rubio should have been suspended for speaking Spanish at school? * 110510 responses

Yes. Students should speak English at school because it is America's dominant language.
    27%

No. American schools should show appreciation for multilingual citizens.
    70%

I'm not sure.
    3%

There was a follow up article where they unsuspended this kid, by the way. Apparently there was nothing in the school's written rules prohibiting it and therefore he was thrown out illegally.