Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Study makes case for Illegal Workers

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/jobs ... 3209990001
    Study Makes Case for Illegal Workers
    By SUZANNE GAMBOA,AP
    Posted: 2008-04-24 20:43:50
    WASHINGTON (April 24) - The government's plan to crack down on illegal workers could cost employers more than $1 billion a year and legal workers billions in lost wages, a study commissioned by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce says.
    Those costs are enough to trigger a federal law that would require the Homeland Security Department to analyze more thoroughly the effect of its proposal, said Richard Belzer, a consultant hired by the chamber to do the study. It was made available to The Associated Press on Thursday.

The department's proposed "no match" rule would require employers to fire workers who can't resolve mismatches between their name and Social Security number. The chamber opposes the proposal.

Belzer's study will be among public comments submitted to the Homeland Security Department on the proposal. The department could adopt the proposal after reviewing the comments. The deadline for comments is Friday.

Social Security sends no-match letters to employers. They often occur because someone is working illegally, but a mismatch can also take place because of typos, misspellings and name changes, among other reasons.

The Homeland Security Department issued average costs for employers based on how many employees they have and what percent might be unauthorized workers. It determined there would not be a heavy cost to employers.

Belzer, a former economist with the Office of Management and Budget, looked at overall costs and multiplied the average costs by the number of employers in each category. He also used the Homeland Security's estimates that 2 percent of legal workers a year would lose their jobs because they can't resolve the Social Security mismatch.

That adds up to between 37,000 to 137,000 unable to get work. Belzer estimated their lost wages would be from $8 billion to $37 billion.

His cost estimates are based on the department's now -suspended plan to enforce the no-match rule after the government sent 140,000 employers no-match letters, each with about 10 or more names. A U.S. district judge blocked the plan last October after groups opposed to it sued. The department is appealing.

A law in place since 1981 requires agencies to do a comprehensive study of proposed regulations if the cost exceeds $100 million, said Belzer, an independent consultant.

"This is 10 times that," Belzer said. "They haven't done the level of analysis that for almost 30 years would be commonplace."

Russ Knocke, the department's spokesman, said while the he is "not shy to talk about the virtues of no-match, it's difficult to talk about something I have not seen."

************There's a poll but I can't copy and paste!!!!**************

The government's plan to crack down on illegal workers could cost employers more than $1 billion a year and legal workers billions in lost wages, a study commissioned by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce says.
    Chamber of Commerce says it all.

His cost estimates are based on the department's now -suspended plan to enforce the no-match rule after the government sent 140,000 employers no-match letters, each with about 10 or more names.
    How many alias did the 9/11 terrorists have?

Olga Franco, the illegal alien involved in the MN bus crash that took the lives of 4 children had false documents.

Read the articles and 'most wanted' lists and see how many different names illegal aliens use. Some change their name as frequently as thier underwear.

Example: Federal Bureau of Investigation Crime Alert - Cesar Armando Laurean
    Aliases: Cesar Gudino, Cesar Sanchez, Cesar Armando Laurean-Ramirez, Armando Ramirez
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There are American citizens losing more than that in wages to illegal aliens right now. It shows you where there interest and priorities are that they ignore our own displaced citizens.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oklahoma, Arizona, and several other ststes have implemented bills that enforce immigration laws resulting in ILLEGALS leaving their states and returning to their home country or moving to another state to drain their resources. The Chamber of Commerce always claims to follow Immigration Laws but continuously become confused about the interpretation of the law.

Poll Results
    Would you knowingly patronize a business that employed illegal workers?

No 63% 10,435
    Yes 28% 4,550
    I don't know 9% 1,517

Note on Poll Results
    Total Votes: 16,502

How do you feel about employing illegal workers?

They shouldn't be employed 65%
    They do jobs most Americans won't do anyway 23%
    I have no problem with it 12%

Total Votes: 16,535
    Note on Poll Results

They shouldn't be employed 65% 12,715
    They do jobs most Americans won't do anyway 23% 4,419
    I have no problem with it 12% 2,467

Note on Poll Results
    Total Votes: 19,601

No 63% 12,479
    Yes 27% 5,385
    I don't know 10% 1,823

Note on Poll Results
    Total Votes: 19,687

No 63%
    Yes 27%
    I don't know 10%
    Total Votes: 19,721
    Note on Poll Results

Another company on my list to boycott
    Bonnie Plant Farm! I was going to buy some tomato and pepper plants today. One American and 2 illegals. The two were unloading the truck. I walked up to them and asked questions about the plants. They didn't understand a word I said. Needless to say I am starting my own seeds from last year today!
    LOU DOBBS!

They shouldn't be employed 65% 12,743

They do jobs most Americans won't do anyway 23% 4,426

I have no problem with it 12% 2,469

Total Votes: 19,638

------------------------------------------------------------------

No 63% 12,507

Yes 27% 5,390

I don't know 10% 1,828

Total Votes: 19,725
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn