Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

$1 a pack Cigarette tax increase approved by House lawmakers

Cigarette tax increase approved by House lawmakers

M.L.

Boston (AP) -- House lawmakers have approved a package of tax hikes, including a dollar increase on a pack of cigarettes and a series of business tax loophole closings.

The cigarette tax would generate an estimated $175 million and would go into effect in July if the bill becomes law. An amendment passed during tonight's debate would dedicate those revenues to health care. The final vote on the bill was 131-to-23.

Supporters also said the cigarette tax would deter smoking. Critics said raising taxes doesn't make sense in a recession, and would drive smokers across the border.

Lawmakers made some changes to the business portion of the bill. The initial version softened the impact of the loophole closings with a gradual cut in the corporate income tax rate over several years. The final bill wouldn't cut the tax rate quite as deeply and would link future cuts to minimum gains in corporate tax revenues.

The bill heads to the Senate next.

2008 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    http://wbz.com/Cigarette-tax-increase-a ... rs/1987235
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In Berlin there are thousands of Vietnamese illegal aliens who can be seen out on the sidewalks who have cartons of cigarettes and have an open pack and a closed pack visible. The German smokers who want to save money pay them less than a taxed pack and are given the closed pack of cigarettes. The cigarettes are driven into Berlin by the truckload.

I can forsee the same sort of thing growing in Massachusetts with a higher exise tax rate. Around Boston I think I will see Latino illegal aliens that are selling packs with Virginia tax seals.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'll say the same thing I say to people asking for a cigarette, "if you can't afford to smoke, then don't smoke". Maybe I should say, "if you can't afford the sin tax".

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is idiotic, the young people who are prone to smoke don't care what it cost and the older smokers who are on a set income will go without food to buy them. All this does is hurt older Americans!

Richard,

How much are Cigarettes now in beantown? Does Beacon Hill need $$$
    to fund the Mass Universal Heath Law?

I’m glad I live within 20 minutes from an Indian reservation.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

IF THIS BILL PASSES, where is the money going to?

My 2 reasons to kill this bill:

1) If the idea is to raise money, then it will just backfire because smokers will quit smoking. (Where is the logic here???)

2) A whole new bureaucratic committee will have to be created to manage this money. That means salaries, administrative costs, etc. In the end, only 10 cents of the $1 will go to its true intended purpose.

I remember when CA started their lottery. They told us that 50 cents of every ticket ($1) will go to the schools. WELL!! After hiring tons of people to manage this new budget, only 10 cents went to the schools!!! I stopped buying lottery tickets after that.
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

MW
    Question, aren't cigarettes already around $3.00 a pack? I'm not a smoker, however, even I think $4.00 a pack is a bit unreasonable.

Hmmm.........I guess the money to subsidize cheap labor has to come from somewhere.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Question, aren't cigarettes already around $3.00 a pack? I'm not a smoker, however, even I think $4.00 a pack is a bit unreasonable.

Hmmm.........I guess the money to subsidize cheap labor has to come from somewhere.
    MW, that was funny. Cigarettes are like $4-5, aren't they? So, that will make it $5-6. If you smoke 2 packs a day, that's extortion already.
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.