Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

$50,000 Stolen in Armed Robbery at Fl Produce Company

$50,000 stolen in armed robbery at West Boca produce company

By Alexia Campbell, Sun Sentinel

7:12 p.m. EDT, April 1, 2011

WEST BOCA—
    Employees of a produce wholesaler, and a man who comes around every Friday to cash their paychecks, were robbed of about $50,000 Friday afternoon, a company official and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said.

Two robbers escaped on foot, and deputies used dogs to search for them in the area near Clint Moore Road and U.S. 441, west of Boca Raton.

The robbery happened about 11:25 a.m. at Thomas Produce Co., 9905 Clint Moore Road.

The man, who deputies have not identified, routinely parks in front of the company's headquarters building each Friday, when employees are paid, and cashes their checks. This week he parked his Mazda CX9 in the center of the lot and was cashing checks when two men with guns came out from the bushes, according to the Sheriff's Office.

One pointed a black handgun at the group and demanded their cash, the Sheriff's Office said. The other man grabbed a cash register out of the trunk of the car.

The robbers also grabbed cell phones and paychecks from the employees, said Richard Wilson, director of compliance for Thomas Produce.

He initially heard that the business had been robbed, he said, but later found out it was individual employees and a man cashing checks.

The two robbers fled south in a black, four-door Mercedes SUV, the Sheriff's Office said. Both were about 6 feet tall and dressed all in black.

"In the 15 years I've been here, this is the first time I've heard [this] happen," Wilson said. "They probably were casing this guy for a while."

Wilson said it's common in the agriculture business for someone to cash employees' checks at work. Most laborers arrive at work in packed vans and don't have their own cars to stop by a check-cashing store.

"They have a 30-minute lunch break, so if they cash their check on the premises, they have time to eat and rest," Wilson said.

He said he had no idea someone was cashing checks on the property without an armed guard. Wilson said he asked employees a few years ago if they wanted a check-cashing business to come by each week.

"At that time, they said no," Wilson said.

Thomas Produce is a family-run operation that has farmed in South Florida since the 1950s. It's the largest vegetable grower in the Southeast United States.

Its produce — tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, peppers, string beans and zucchini — are in local supermarkets and are shipped across the United States and Canada.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wilson said it's common in the agriculture business for someone to cash employees' checks at work. Most laborers arrive at work in packed vans and don't have their own cars to stop by a check-cashing store.
    I wonder if those "checks" had taxes taken out?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Story inside the story:

I wonder what kind of fee this third party cash checking agent was charging to cash the checks? I'm betting the fee was somewhat substantial (percentage wise) because those cashing the checks probably didn't have bank accounts. Thus, their options were limited. If they had bank accounts their money probably would have went direct deposit. Most large operations offer their employees the option of direct deposit these days. This whole things smells of illegal aliens and exploitation (check casher).

Tip for ICE: Saddle up and get over there - it's time for a raid. Oh, excuse me, we don't do raids anymore. Okay, go over there and do one of your namby-pamby audits.

Crooks stealing from crooks. No harm, no foul?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    Story inside the story:

I wonder what kind of fee this third party cash checking agent was charging to cash the checks? I'm betting the fee was somewhat substantial (percentage wise) because those cashing the checks probably didn't have bank accounts. Thus, their options were limited. If they had bank accounts their money probably would have went direct deposit. Most large operations offer their employees the option of direct deposit these days. This whole things smells of illegal aliens and exploitation (check casher).

Tip for ICE: Saddle up and get over there - it's time for a raid. Oh, excuse me, we don't do raids anymore. Okay, go over there and do one of your namby-pamby audits.
    Since they are illegals why would the business owners want to pay by other means. This way there is little of a paper trail. Alot of places do that. When they had the construction boom there were people there who cashed their checks as well. You would see a line of about a dozen or more men going to a truck.
    At least we know that the thieves will spend the money here in the United States. As for ICE I am sure they have been notified by multiple people including the group against illegal immigration called FILMEN.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)