Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

11-Year-Old Girl Tasered At School After Punching Officer In

11-Year-Old Girl Tasered At School After Punching Officer In Face

POSTED: 12:00 pm EDT March 27, 2008
    UPDATED: 6:25 pm EDT March 27, 2008

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- An Orange County deputy said she had no choice but to shock an 11-year-old girl with a Taser on Thursday morning in an elementary school classroom. Deputies said it was to stop a violent temper tantrum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VOTE: Should Officers Be Allowed To Use Tasers On Children?
    RAW INTERVIEW: Mom Defends 11-Year-Old Who Hit Deputy
    CRIME SECTION: Local Reports, Mug Shots, Neighborhood Watch Info
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The girl at Moss Park Elementary punched the deputy in the nose so hard the deputy went to the hospital. While an 11-year-old shocked by a Taser sounds extreme to some parents, other parents told Eyewitness News the girl deserved it.

Eyewitness News talked to several parents Thursday who said that Thaliamar Jimenez has caused trouble before. Most of those parents are coming down firmly on the side of the deputy.

Meanwhile, the mother of the fourth grader is having a hard time understanding how another day at school turned into her daughter going to jail.

"The school knows pretty well that my daughter is like a 5-year-old," explained the girl's mother, Sandra Garcia.

Garcia told Eyewitness News that her 11-year-old daughter has a learning disability and when she was approached by the deputy Thursday morning in class she was simply scared to death.

According to the arrest report, before school Thursday morning, another student told teachers at Moss Park that Thaliamar pushed a boy into the street. When teachers tried to talk to the girl she became combative, started pushing her desk and chair and even spit at the teachers.

The school resource officer, Orange County Deputy Donna Hudepohl, tried to take Thaliamar to the principal's office and that's when the child started swinging, hitting the officer in the nose. Hudepohl was transported to Florida East Hospital. She sustained severe bruising to the nasal cavity as a result of the injury.

"My daughter told me, 'Mommy, you know I wouldn't hit nobody! If I hit her in the nose, it was by mistake. I didn't hit her intentionally. I didn't do that!'" Garcia said.

"She actually spoke to the student, told her multiple times to come. Even after the student punched her, she still continued to try and make the arrest without having to taze her. And that obviously wasn't working," explained Corporal Susan Soto, Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Outside the school, many of the parents Eyewitness News talked to question the use of a Taser on an 11-year-old child.

"I just don't know if that's necessary," one parent said.

Many other parents are standing by the woman they call "their deputy."

"She had it coming. She assaulted an officer. You can't let that go," said parent Shanna Herrick.

Those same parents Eyewitness News talked to said that, to their knowledge, it was the first time an incident like this has taken place at the school.

Jimenez was transported to Florida East Hospital to have the Taser prongs removed, but she had no other injuries. She was arrested and charged with battery on a law enforcement officer, disrupting a school function as well as resisting with violence.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office policy allows deputies to use Tasers when there is "active resistance" from a suspect. There is no rule against using Tasers on children, but in 2005 a Florida lawmaker tried to make it illegal for any officer to shock children with Tasers. The proposal was stalled because there is no scientific research showing what Tasers can do to kids medically.
    Copyright 2008 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wftv.com/news/15722616/detail.html
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

According to the arrest report, before school Thursday morning, another student told teachers at Moss Park that Thaliamar pushed a boy into the street. When teachers tried to talk to the girl she became combative, started pushing her desk and chair and even spit at the teachers.

"My daughter told me, 'Mommy, you know I wouldn't hit nobody! If I hit her in the nose, it was by mistake. I didn't hit her intentionally. I didn't do that!'" Garcia said.
    She exhibited violence by pushing the boy into the street, what if a car had been coming? Mommy, you'd better wake the hell up, she's playing you for a fool! Is this acceptable in your home? It certainly is not in mine and I have an autistic child!

This child needs to be put in a school for juveniles prone to violence. If her behaviour is not stopped now, it will be too late. The mother sounds unfit and should be held responsible also.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Thaliamar Jimenez

Interview with mother:

http://www.wftv.com/video/15726670/index.html
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

My daughter told me, 'Mommy, you know I wouldn't hit nobody! If I hit her in the nose, it was by mistake. I didn't hit her intentionally. I didn't do that!'" Garcia said.
    Typical victim mentality!

Listen, if these officers were authorized to carry tasers, then I also would assume they have the authority to use them when necessary. If being assaulted while attempting to control a combative and violent student does not justify the use of the taser, then why on earth are they even carrying them.

Mommy better wake up and realise her kid has a problem or she is going to wind up in an institution.
    The only other means they had to control this kid would have mean to take her down phyisicaly.
    I had to help control a thirteen year old girl one time and it took four of us to do it, she fought us even after we had her down so hard the only way I found to stop her was to grab her hair and pull her head back to where she was looking at the sky.

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    That video is hysterical!!!

They should lock up the mother too, seems she is the one promoting this by not controlling the kid.