Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

6.0 Quake strikes near Acapulco, Mexico

Quake strikes near Acapulco, Mexico

Story Highlights

Earthquake's magnitude is given preliminary measurement of 6.0

It was centered in southwestern Guerrero state

Tremors could be felt 175 miles away in Mexico City

updated 14 minutes agoNext Article in World »

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (CNN) -- A strong quake measuring 6.0 in magnitude struck southwestern Mexico near the resort city of Acapulco on Monday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

USGS measured the quake's epicenter in the state of Guerrero about 43 miles northeast of Acapulco. The preliminary magnitude is 6.0, but that could change.

Authorities in Acapulco evacuated hotels there, although there were no reports of damage, according to CNN affiliate TV Azteca.

The temblor was felt about 145 miles (230 km) to the north in Mexico City.

CNN Producer Lonzo Cook, who is in the Mexican capital, said people there headed out into the streets after a vibration shook the building for about 30 to 40 seconds. There was no visible damage, he said.

"People in neighboring office buildings -- quite a majority of them wearing masks because of the swine flu outbreak -- were piling out into the streets," Cook said. "There were a few humorous people on the stairways saying, 'This is the apocalypse. First the swine flu, and now this.' "

However, most people were in "high spirits," Cook said

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/ ... gletoolbar
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This keeps up and we'll all have way more than a flu to worry about.

Is there no end to the threat of having Mexico as a neighbor?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

These poor people just keep getting slammed over and over. As much as I hate illegal immigration - I really really feel for those who stayed in thier own country and have to deal with all this mess through no fault of thier own.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    These poor people just keep getting slammed over and over. As much as I hate illegal immigration - I really really feel for those who stayed in thier own country and have to deal with all this mess through no fault of thier own.

I absolutely agree Sic.....although I don't quite agree that their situation is through no fault of their own anymore than I would say that any (or maybe, most would be the more approriate word to use) of us are entirely blameless in the mess we now find ourselves in.

My point is simply that people.....no matter who they may be....have the ability and power to change what's wrong with wherever they may happen to live. Whether it be their home country, their neighborhood, even an apartment complex for that matter.

And yet, foolishly, they either do nothing or continue to do the same things over and over again which allows for the dysfunction to continue.

That being said however, I'm wondering.....and really, quite frankly hoping......that this epidemic, in addition to the civil war going on and as well as any other crisis which may crop up in the immediate future, will do two things for Mexico.

One, I sincerely hope that Mexico will FINALLY be exposed to the rest of the world to be, once and for all, undeniably so NOT the world's victims that the government has made a career out of playing.

This war with the cartels has exposed just how criminal and corrupt those in authority truly are. Now these people are caught up in this epidemic, they are ill, they are dying, begging for help, and they are being turned away for lack of money or insurance with even those fortunate to have either are being turned away from treatment because facilities are too crowded and medical staff "too busy".

What kind of government allows this?

And as if that's all not enough, earthquakes are threatening bringing God only knows what in the aftermath. If the Mexican government cares so little about the Mexican people when it comes to a flu outbreak, what's going to happen if the next thing coming are epidemics of cholera and all of those sorts of little nasties which turn up after natural disasters?

The other thing I would love to see come out of this is for the Mexican people to finally say they've had ENOUGH of this and be very serious in an effort to transform their country into what it can, and quite frankly, should be.

The quake has been downgraded to 5.6.

There were no deaths reported.

It was located 130 from Mexico City.

There were no injuries reported in Mexico City.

There was no damage reported in Mexico City.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn