http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr ... ecession/2

This ought to be interesting to watch

Long on outrage about the status quo but short on details about the new order they envision, they say Vermont could establish its own Social Security system, tend to health care and maintain roads using the billions of dollars in taxes it could save by not paying federal taxes.

Steele, a U.S. Army veteran, says if elected he'll call a statewide convention to consider articles of political independence and try to get Vermont National Guard troops returned home from the wars.

But as Dartmouth College professor of government Linda Fowler says, "The problem (with secession) always is the one the framers pointed out: Governmental units that are so small end up being vulnerable to their neighbors, in all kinds of ways."

For now, the focus is on the campaign in Vermont, where the secession candidates -- on a shoestring budget -- plan a largely Internet-based campaign. As of Wednesday, they hadn't launched a dedicated Web site, though one is planned.

Garritano, a Shelburne independent who's never run for office before, promised his wife the campaign wouldn't cost them much money. He's sticking to that: So far, he's spent $20 on business cards.

Come November, he won't be identified as a "secession" candidate on the ballot; it will just say "independent."

"If somehow, miraculously, I got elected lieutenant governor, I'd make an effort to get back some of our rights -- right to freedom of speech, freedom of association and other Constitution-Bill of Rights things that have been taken away from us," Garritano said.

Steele, a 44-year-old political neophyte from Kirby who owns Internet radio station Free Vermont Radio, says he'll take a grassroots approach to campaigning -- traversing the state in a recreational vehicle with his wife, 5-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son.

"The plan is to travel around the state with my family, try to make it a fun thing," he said. "Go out, do some live broadcasts, pound some doors and then come back to the campground with my family in the RV."

Former Gov. Thomas Salmon is among those who doubt Vermont will ever break its ties with Washington, D.C.
there is more to this story on the page