Above the Law or Living on the Edge The Kennedy Family

In this series of photos taken in August of 2003, the speedboat owned by Senator Edward Kennedy is seen above screaming through a mooring area well inside the 6mph zone, No Wake.

Arrogance unrestrained above the law and beneath contempt

By Peter S. Robbins

After a recent interview with Sean Hannity (to be aired Sunday at 9:00pm on Hannitys America) relating to the Kennedy Yacht "Mya" pumping raw diesel fuel into Hyannisport waters of Nantucket Sound, I really began to ponder the entire Kennedy family legacy. When you consider the tragedy that has struck this family throughout the years, you wonder if they are part of the old cliche , why do bad things happen to good people ?

Opinions vary on that topic. The previously reported, dumping of fuel was just a stupid act, and one of the most hypocritical blatant acts of disregard of the laws of the Commonwealth I have ever seen. Remembering for a minute how the Mr. Environmentally Friendly Kennedy wants to preserve our Nantucket Sound, do they (the Kennedys) think they are above the law?

Kennedy's "Le Grand Fromage" ignoring more safety regulations as it speeds past the Hy-Line Harbor Cruise boat and nearly swipes a moored sailboat.

On the edge or over the top?

Or is it the Kennedy nature to always live on the edge? Do you know what I mean? That thrill of balancing right on the very edge of disaster and getting some kind of high out of it without considering the consequences. Maybe its both, there must be something to the latter when you consider the tragic events that have struck that family which could have been avoided.

The Senator appears to be some kind of enigma to me. All that he has been through, causing pain, and the pain he must feel from his tragic family losses. Yet the total disregard, or the above the law attitude not only continues, so do the acts of living on the edge. Is there a feeling of immortality built into the genes of this family ? Is it instilled from childhood that, "you are a a Kennedy you can do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences ?" I don’t know that answer.

Later "The Big Cheese" careens past a moored sailboat at top speed. The boat's registration is shown at the bottom.

As a native Cape Codder growing up on Hyannis Harbor, you couldn’t help but hear the local gossip about family escapades, sometime you even witnessed them. I remember watching the Presidential Helicopter circling the compound , one a decoy and one the real thing, and the excitement it caused as people watched to possibly get a glimpse of JFK. When you see the present day patriarch of the clan, most turn away. Has his total disregard for doing the right thing and blatant hypocritical actions over decades diminished any respect left by his constituents? It appears that way to many of us common folks. Yet he is still in power, and without his nod in the political field it appears "your dead in the water."

"It's where I sail"

Speaking of the water, following the last article by cctoday.com referencing the fuel dumping, additional photographs were sent to me. Verifying the vessel in the photographs, it appears it must be in the bloodline. Living on the edge, and above the law. Capecodtoday.com has really made a venue available to many people out there that want a story told, but until now really didn’t know how to get it told. On line , people not only have an opportunity to see and read news, but they can comment on it and offer opinions and corrections. Have you read an article in print, and had some knowledge on the particular subject, and realized it was not correct or a fact has been left out ? What do you do? Write a letter to the editor? Oh well, you see where I’m going.

The wake is so great as the inflatable raft passes the Kennedy yacht that is splashes the sides of that ketch. Local regulations demand there be no wake within 150 feet of moored vessels.

Le Grand Fromage, (The Big Cheese) is a 1983 Formula, MS0001TK, registered to Edward M. Kennedy of 50 Marchant Ave in Hyannisport , Massachusetts showing a mailing address of 315 Russell Senate Building in Washington , D.C. . It sits on a 600 lb mooring in Hyannisport, according to Harbor Masters records at the Town of Barnstable, at least it did in 2003. In August of 2003, these photographs were taken of Senator Kennedy’s speedboat weaving in and out of the mooring field in Hyannisport towing a tube.

"The Big Cheese" thumbs his nose at us

First of all, local and state law prohibits any wake within 150 feet of a vessel not under way, moored vessels, and speeds within mooring fields are not suppose to exceed 6 MPH with no wake. Shown here is the Kennedy vessel not only at dangerously high speeds with a tube in tow, but weaving in and out of moored vessels with a 150' line towing the tube. The inboard powered Formula is not only grossly exceeding the speed limit, but the wake was reported not only to have violently rocked some moored vessels but caused some tenders attached to vessels to slam into their mother ships. Imagine if the passenger on the tube hit a vessel or the breakwater at this speed.

To coin another phrase, I’ll report...you decide! Is this total disregard for the law? Is it living on the edge? Is it I’m a Kennedy and I can do what I want? I await your feedback. When I questioned a local Harbor Master today his response was, "If it was in a mooring field like that , I’d go after them !" I wonder?

Keep those photographs and letters coming, if it is verifiable, I’ll follow it up.
_____

Read Kennedy dumping diesel fuel into Nantucket Sound

http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index ... e?blog=177