Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ACORN Closing in Wake of Scandal

ACORN Closing in Wake of Scandal

Monday, March 22, 2010

CHICAGO — The once mighty community activist group ACORN announced Monday it is folding amid falling revenues — six months after video footage emerged showing some of its workers giving tax tips to conservative activists posing as a pimp and prostitute.

"It's really declining revenue in the face of a series of attacks from partisan operatives and right-wing activist that have taken away our ability to raise the resources we need," ACORN spokesman Kevin Whelan said.

Several of its largest affiliates, including ACORN New York and ACORN California, broke away this year and changed their names in a bid to ditch the tarnished image of their parent organization and restore revenue that ran dry in the wake of the video scandal.

ACORN's financial situation and reputation went into free fall within days of the videos' release in September. Congress reacted by yanking ACORN's federal funding, private donors held back cash and scores of ACORN offices closed.

Earlier this month, a U.S. judge reiterated an earlier ruling that the federal law blacklisting ACORN and groups allied with it was unconstitutional because it singled them out. But that didn't mean any money would be automatically be restored.

Bertha Lewis, the CEO of ACORN, which stands for the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, alluded to financial hardships in a weekend statement as the group's board prepared to deliberate by phone.

"ACORN has faced a series of well-orchestrated, relentless, well-funded right wing attacks that are unprecedented since the McCarthy era," she said. "The videos were a manufactured, sensational story that led to rush to judgment and an unconstitutional act by Congress."

ACORN's board decided to close remaining state affiliates and field offices by April 1 because of falling revenues, with some national operations will continue operating for at least several weeks before shutting for good, Whelan said Monday.

For years, ACORN could draw on 400,000 members to lobby for liberal causes, such as raising the minimum wage or adopting universal health care. ACORN was arguably most successful at registering hundreds of thousands of low-income voters, though that mission was dogged by fraud allegations, including that some workers submitted forms signed by 'Mickey Mouse' or other cartoon characters.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,589768,00.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am jumping up and down but I still want to see the rest of their offices close as well. If they had fraud before they will have it again.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Mar 22, 2010

ACORN disbanding; some services to continue

06:08 PM
    By Mark Wilson

Scandal-tainted ACORN is disbanding, a spokesman for the national community activist group says, although its housing division will continue, according to two news reports.

Citing national ACORN spokesman Kevin Whelan, the Associated Press said the political arm of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now will shut down April 1 because of "falling revenues." AP writes: "Some other national operations will continue operating for at least several weeks before shutting for good."

The Wall Street Journal adds, however, that ACORN Housing, which has a separate budget and board, would remain open.

The group, which generally aids low-income minorities, came under fire for allegations of voter fraud during the 2008 election, and then again six months ago when a video sting by conservative activists showed ACORN workers advising a man and a woman dressed as a prostitute and a pimp how to avoid certain taxes. (Earlier this month the workers were cleared of criminal wrongdoing. ) Congress cut off the group's funding as a result of the scandal, as did many private donors.

Affiliates in New York and California broke from the national group earlier this year and changed their names, hoping to distance themselves from their parent organization and regain funding.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... continue/1
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

A New

A New name, a fresh coat of paint, and the beast will be reborn...lol

Affiliates in New York and California broke from the national group earlier this year and changed their names, hoping to distance themselves from their parent organization and regain funding.
    Anyone know what the new names are, so we can watch for them?
    NO AMNESTY

ACORN Getting A Makeover: Group Looking For New Name, New Branding ...

Mar 15, 2010 ... One of the latest groups to adopt a new name is ACORN Housing, ... names include what were among the largest affiliates:

California ACORN is now Alliance ...

and New York ACORN has become New York Communities for Change. ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/1 ... 99522.html
    NO AMNESTY

THEY'RE BACK!!!

Bret Baier just announced on FOX that a FEDERAL JUDGE HAS RULED that acorn wasn't given due diligence; and in response, the WH has turned the Tap wide open! oh. the judge said their REPUTATION had been COMPROMISED, so look for some Federal Compensation for the victim (acorn). and goodnight America.

afp

p.s. i'm sorry, but did anyone on this site actually think these Chicago Gangsters were just going to leave town? i didn't think so.

did i exaggerate?

Maybe. maybe the judge isn't federal or state or whatever. i don't know. but what I heard was that it was business as usual. please tell me i'm wrong. i get fined if i park inappropriatly and these sleazeballs commit, well, whatever they committed and everything is peachy? Jeepers.

on account of that (despite 7 weeks of anger mgmt.): "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

afp

p.s. i didn't know changing your name and leaving town was a new concept. in the olden days in Texas, when you did that you were always sure to take plenty of "TRAIN RIDING MONEY" (that's cash to you neophytes) with you. is that what it means when you get caught, change your name, leave town in the middle of the night, that you pulled an ACORN? just askin

oh. uh. thanks hylander

Wayneman, I know what you mean. And you are welcome. I use hunting and fishing as anger management myself. It's cheaper in the longrun, and it puts food on the table for rather a fairly cheap rate.

What we all must remember, is that these are no longer Public Servants. They are supposed to be our employees, and not our whip masters. They have made and given themselves all kinds of special priviliges. And they are supposed to be the example of how we are to conduct ourselves, and if we conduct ourselves as they do, we would end up in prison. And yes they get a free ride. Even if they get impeached, they get let off the hook. They should be held to the highest standards, as they are entrusted with the enumerated powers that "We the People" have given them to guard. But instead of guarding those most precious things that we as Americans should cherish, they do everything to trample and destroy every Right we are endowed with by our Creator.