Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Administators brush up on their Spanish

Administrators brush up on their Spanish
    JOLIET GRADE SCHOOL DISTRICT

August 5, 2008Recommend

By CATHERINE ANN VELASCO cvelasco@scn1.com
    JOLIET -- Principal Connie Russell, who took German in high school, had picked up bits and pieces of Spanish by living in Joliet, but not enough to communicate with her school's parents and students.

"I knew some common phrases like 'como estas?' and 'buenos dias,'" she said.

So Russell, principal at Gompers Junior High School, welcomed an intensive week-long Spanish class taught by a consultant Joliet Grade School District hired. Ten administrators took part in the 20-hour course.

"Our hope is to have all of our administrators effectively communicate with our Spanish-speaking parents. That may be by speaking Spanish themselves or by having a staff member immediately available to help translate," Superintendent Phyllis Wilson said. "Nearly 50 percent of our student population is Hispanic. We have many parents who do not read or speak English."

Russell and her classmates practiced speaking Spanish and role-playing different scenarios, such as a parent asking questions about registration.

Russell appreciated the class because about 80 percent of Gompers' students are Hispanic and she wants to be able to talk with their parents.

"To me, it makes them feel comfortable if they come in and know that they can speak with us too," she said.

Russell hopes for a second class so she can continue practicing, but in the meantime, she will use Rosetta Stone language learning software.

Last spring, the district piloted the software which will now be used district-wide for staff, bilingual students and at Parks Cultural Studies Academy where all students learn Spanish.

Rosetta Stone uses common pictures and oral repetition to teach different languages

The Herald News asked for the cost for the consultant and district's Rosetta Stone software, but was told to file a request under the Freedom of Information Act. The FOIA request as filed Monday, and the district has seven working days to respond.

Tawanda Lawrence, principal at A.O. Marshall Elementary, took two years of Spanish in high school but has forgotten most of it.

After the course, she said she feels more confident speaking in Spanish to parents.

"I would listen to a translator, but I would try to communicate as well during that meeting," Lawrence said. She said about 60 percent of her school's students are Hispanic.

Russell said she wished she knew Spanish when she was a teacher because it would have been very helpful during parent-teacher conferences.

"We would have people that would interpret, but it is nice to know actually what is going on. It would have made me a little bit more at ease," Russell said. "It's nice to have the knowledge yourself."

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/hera ... S1.article
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Our hope is to have all of our administrators effectively communicate with our Spanish-speaking parents. That may be by speaking Spanish themselves or by having a staff member immediately available to help translate," Superintendent Phyllis Wilson said. "Nearly 50 percent of our student population is Hispanic. We have many parents who do not read or speak English."
    You'll be sorry. Just wait until the American students and parents hear this. They are probably already taking their kids out of the schools.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Joliet , 50 miles south of Chicago . Why is this not surprising in Ill ? Be proud and bend over backwards for people that have "Not" earned the right to be here . Morons
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

oh how nice, how compassionate and so thoughtful. NOT! For crying out loud are people losing their minds, you don't have to go over the top, by that token why don't you learn all teh languages in your school so you don't discriminate. Stop the misplaced compassion. By all means make it easier for spanish only speaking parents but STOP ROLLING OUT THE RED CARPET!

Total insanity!!! Has anyone noticed what happens to all of these schools once they have been infested with non-English speakers? Just take a look at LAUSD! I will never understand why Americans are stooping to this level of obscene pandering to a third world banana republic! If you don't speak ENGLISH...don't bother me! I will NEVER learn your language!

Our hope is to have all of our administrators effectively communicate with our Spanish-speaking parents. That may be by speaking Spanish themselves or by having a staff member immediately available to help translate," Superintendent Phyllis Wilson said. "Nearly 50 percent of our student population is Hispanic. We have many parents who do not read or speak English."

Russell and her classmates practiced speaking Spanish and role-playing different scenarios, such as a parent asking questions about registration
    And they are a minority?

So Russell, principal at Gompers Junior High School, welcomed an intensive week-long Spanish class taught by a consultant Joliet Grade School District hired. Ten administrators took part in the 20-hour course.
    And they graduate them (students) after YEARS and they still need a translator and can't muster "Thank You" or "Excuse me" in English? How can adults, who supposidly have a harder time learning a new language, be able to converse in 20 hours in Spanish, but the Spanish can't in years?
    This isn't can't......it's WON't. And we're pouring millions across this country into a bucket with no bottom in it because they WON'T.

The Herald News asked for the cost for the consultant and district's Rosetta Stone software, but was told to file a request under the Freedom of Information Act. The FOIA request as filed Monday, and the district has seven working days to respond.
    And we can't get the cost of this without a Freedom of Information Act filing?

If you don't speak ENGLISH...don't bother me! I will NEVER learn your language!
    Same here. I had a CHOICE to learn it and chose another language. I didn't leave my country either. I'm not a tourist either. Let the parents buy Rosetta Stone if they are wanting to know what's going on their childs class. We've had a good 20 years catering to them and the situation has not improved 1 iota.

"crazybird" wrote:
    Let the parents buy Rosetta Stone if they are wanting to know what's going on their childs class.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMe
    Total insanity!!! Has anyone noticed what happens to all of these schools once they have been infested with non-English speakers? Just take a look at LAUSD! I will never understand why Americans are stooping to this level of obscene pandering to a third world banana republic! If you don't speak ENGLISH...don't bother me! I will NEVER learn your language!
    AMEN!! AM!

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMe
    "crazybird" wrote:
    Let the parents buy Rosetta Stone if they are wanting to know what's going on their childs class.
    I've been thinking that each time I see their commercials. Hey they can put it in school libraries and city libraries. It's free there go and learn if you want to succeed.