Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Is African a race?

On Nobummer's certificate of live birth it says his father was African. Is African a race? Back in the sixties, we didn't refer to black people as Africans they were either black or negro. The word African is suspect.

There are three races:

Negroid, Mongoloid and Caucasoid.

Mongoloid includes Asians, except for Southeast Asians which are Caucasian. American Indians are also Mongoloid...they immigrated here from Asia.

Caucasoid race is not only white people. Southeast Asians and Those from Middle East are generally Caucasoid. Spanish are also Caucasoid as are Italians.

Hispanics and Filipinos are mixed races. Hispanics are Mongoloid (from their indigenous roots) and Caucasoid (from their Spanish roots).

Filipinos are Mongoloid from their indigenous roots and Caucasoid from their Spanish roots.

Africans, if they are black, are negroid. Not all Africans are black/negroid. Some Africans are white/caucasoid. Negroid is a race, but African is not a race.

Hispanic is not a race, it is an ethnic background. Same with Filipino and African.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So, the birth certificate is probably not a correct one. After all, if I was born in Africa and I am caucasian I would still woulbe be an African. So Nobama's father, should have said Negro to differenciate between a caucasian African and a black African.

Quote Originally Posted by agrneydgrl
    So, the birth certificate is probably not a correct one. After all, if I was born in Africa and I am caucasian I would still woulbe be an African. So Nobama's father, should have said Negro to differenciate between a caucasian African and a black African.
    If the question was race, then he should have answered negro/black/negroid. Because African just means he is from the African continent. That is like if someone asks me my race and I answer North American. However some forms that ask for race have a multiple choice with check boxes. Typically it will list caucasian, asian, african american, american indian or other. It is not correct with respect to the question though because race and ethnic background are not the same. So I guess it depends on how the form asked the question.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The question was father's race. the answer was African

Nope. African is not a race. Even African American is not really race, it is an ethnicity. Black is a race as it is widely understood to be a replacement word for negro...and if you are black then you are of the negroid race. But there are white people living in Africa and I am sure there are even some hispanic and asian people living there.

Come on people. Obama's father did not give the info for the BC. His 18 year old mother did. She told the person who filled it out that he is African, which is how she thought of him. African what we call black americans. African-American. That indicates that they are black. Negro was the race that we used a lot, but people who were race sensitive did not use Negro -- too much like the N word. Please leave this alone, and give Obama a break on this. His parents were married, He was born in the USA, he is a citizen. Done.

African is not a race, it's a nationality. There are only three races, that being Negroid, Mongoloid and Caucasoid.

Notice how they got it right with his mother as being listed as Caucasion. Her nationality is American.

See the difference? Doesn't mean the document is not legitimate, just means someone screwed up on listing the race of his father.

It's a legitimate question, negro or black were terms used in 1961. The term "African-American" didn't exist then.

My daughter had a friend in college who was an exchange student. First day of class, he was asked his nationality, he stated "I'm African", there was a HUGE uproar and angry outbursts from black classmates. Why? He was white, but was born in Africa, as had generations of his family before him. Not South Africa either. He had more right to be called African, because he had been born there.

Can't we all just get along?
    "

African as a race

Black may have been used in the late 1960s, but in 1961 the accepted and common terminology for blacks was "negro" or "colored." That is what one would find on a document such as this at that time in our history. Black came into usage in the late 1960s.

The Dept. of Health for the state of Hawaii issued those documents from information sent to them from the birth hospital. Having filled out such a document in the hospital in 1973 in the state of Alabama I can say with certainty that it was multiple choice and "African" was not one of the choices. I don't recall what the choice for blacks was, or there being an "Other" choice. The one I chose was "Caucasian."

Not all state documents are the same, but by that time there was a concerted effort in uniformity from state to state because of federal intrusion into states' government business. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that Ms. Obama was given the choice of "African" on the document she filled out.

Afican is not a race. It is a nationality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast