Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What does epson salt do for peppers? sounds interesting and I plant alot and a big variety of peppers.

I plant alot of sunflowers, this year I am going to figure out how to soak in brine and then I don't know what to do, need to look it up, but my family loves sun flower seeds.

I have no little varmets thank GOD!! spiders are bad enough

I'm going to try the dried coffee grounds that interesting!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I use a natural spray to keep the bugs off the garden.

Will be using some netting to keep the moths off the cabbage this year. Last year, their larva ate my red cabbage. The netting is material I bought at Wal-Mart (Made in the USA) I will cover the plants and that should do the trick.

I use only organic heirloom seeds.

I have garlic growing in containers on my porch, works well.

No chemicals only the natural route. A bot more work, since I have all of the pests including deer rabbits crows and an occasional mountain lion (He can eat any of the above mentioned pests).

Bean cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, peppers, tomatoes all do well for me. I preserve using freezing and will do some canning this year as well.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Good hint with the cabbage jp this is my first year with it and did not know about the moth problem....Thanks! I'll do it!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Epson Salt provides acid, so be careful what you use it on. Most people substitute this for MiracleGro Miracid as it's a cheaper way to add acid to the soil for azaleas, ferns, philodendrons, etc.

I have a little tip for the bell pepper growers out there. My mom told me this a long time ago. If you plant your pepper plants about a foot apart so that the outside leaves touch the neighboring plant, you'll yield more peppers. It seemed to work for her. Also. she use to dry, then grind up egg shells and put them around some of her plants for added nutrients. Another good source of nutrients for your plants is potato peelings. You put them in a blender, then pour around the plants.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You're right about the Epson Salt and no one should be taking tips from me, I'm a garden killer. Actually, it seems like I've read every book under the sun about gardening, I just can't seem to apply my knowledge to real world application.

I think I just drew first blood. I was just out pulling weeds and I busted my knuckle.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We don't have much of a problem with pests where I am (ok, one year the grasshoppers ate the paint off houses), our main problem is erratic weather. My cold weather crops are in. Laxton's Progress #9 Pea is my favorite. Also Quinault strawberries. Our soil tends to be clay, so I add sulfur as I break it up, also some iron. All my vegetables will be non-hybrid heirlooms this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    You're right about the Epson Salt and no one should be taking tips from me, I'm a garden killer. Actually, it seems like I've read every book under the sun about gardening, I just can't seem to apply my knowledge to real world application.

I think I just drew first blood. I was just out pulling weeds and I busted my knuckle.

Dixie
    You gotta watch those Texas rocks, Dixie.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

April
    Here's a trendy idea!

"Betsy" Grasshoppers ate the paint off house WOW bad grasshoppers you got there

"April" nice Idea there !! His and Her planters Excellent drainage to!!

It's good to know that so many ae going organic as possible now .

We have 4 raised beds 4x25 . And a small area for corn . We use only herloom seeds and make compost .

So far we planted, corn, okra,beans,tomatos, peppers . We have young pear, apple,plum,peach trees that are starting to produce . Some we lost, because we bought them rootbound a couple years ago. Never buy a rootbound tree ,especially if it circles the plant !

Started petunias, cosmos for flowers from seed this time .

have roses and canna lilys and few wild flowers, but mostly into working for food these days . Too much watering and hard work to have lots of ornamentals . We enjoy the garden but it is hard work, so if we can't eat it, we don't plant much of it .

Good advice here, will try the coffee grounds on the roses .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast