Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Alzheimer's Patients Lining Up for Microchip

Alzheimer's Patients Lining Up for Microchip
    The VeriChip Provides Medical Information About Patients, but Privacy Advocates Are Wary

David and Ida Frankel have been married for 73 years. Ida developed Alzheimer's disease and is among the first to receive a microchip containing her medical information. (ABC News)
    Aug. 28, 2007
    Font Size

Print
    Share For families of the nearly 5 million Americans currently living with Alzheimer's disease, keeping their loved ones safe is a major concern.

In response to such concerns, a Florida-based company has developed an FDA-approved microchip that can be implanted in an Alzheimer's patient's arm, allowing critical medical details to be accessed instantly.

Up to 200 Alzheimer's patients living near Palm Beach, Fla., will be implanted with the VeriChip for free in the next week.

The chip, which is about the size of a grain of rice, contains a 16-digit identification number which is scanned at a hospital. Once the number is placed in a database, it can provide crucial medical information.

People are already lining up for the VeriChip, but it's already stirred up controversy.

Is Big Brother Watching?
    David and Ida Frankel have been married an unbelievable 73 years. Seven years ago, Ida was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

"She was being very forgetful, repeating questions over and over again," David said.

Ida was one of the first patients at an Alzheimer's center in Florida to be implanted with a VeriChip.

"When an Alzheimer's patient gets lost, once their arm is scanned, it would identify who they are and that they are an Alzheimer's patient," said Scott Silverman, the CEO of VeriChip.

Silverman stressed that the VeriChip is not a GPS device; it only provides code for a database.

Some privacy groups argue that the VeriChip, which uses the same technology as devices that track wayward pets, strips Alzheimer's patients of their dignity.

"I don't think that because it's useful in animals is a reason why we should do it in human beings," said Katherine Albrecht, the founder of AntiChip.com. "There is a distinction between an animal and a human being."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=3536539
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The mark of the beast is upon us!
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The folks at www.spychips.com protested this. Didnt someone in Germany in the 1930's start rounding up the mentally and physically disabled after taking care of the criminals?
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

And so it begins....

RFID in my Levis--after reading several comments left by consumers, I could not decifer when Levi Strauss started their implant project with jeans and dockers. I have both. I need to know when this started so I know which to throw out..hope someone can help..

R

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    RFID in my Levis--after reading several comments left by consumers, I could not decifer when Levi Strauss started their implant project with jeans and dockers. I have both. I need to know when this started so I know which to throw out..hope someone can help..

R
    Call them and ask them, then tell they why and what you are going to do with them.

We're available to answer your questions
    Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., PST

Levi's® Brand
    1-800-USA-LEVI (1-800-872-5384)

Dockers® Brand
    1-800-DOCKERS (1-800-362-5377)

Levi Strauss Signature® Brand
    1-888-411-5384

Sponsorship Contact
    1-415-501-4373

Write:

Levi Strauss & Co.
    Attn: Consumer Relations
    1155 Battery St.
    San Francisco, CA

Email:
    http://www.levistrauss.com/Company/Cont ... aspx?loc=1

Contacts below are for media inquiries only.
    Please click here if you are a consumer with questions about our products.

Corporate and U.S. >

WORLDWIDE AND U.S. HEADQUARTERS

Levi Strauss & Co.
    1155 Battery Street
    San Francisco, CA 94111
    U.S.A.

Jeff Beckman
    Director, Corporate Communications
    Tel: (415) 501-1698

E.J. Bernacki
    Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
    Tel: (415) 501-6262
    News Media Only:
    E-mail: newsmediarequests@levi.com

To explore a story idea, contact the appropriate brand or regional representative:

Amy Jasmer
    U.S. Levi's® Brand
    415-501-6178
    E-mail: ajasmer@levi.com

John Ordona
    U.S. Dockers® Brand
    415-501-7568
    E-mail: jordona@levi.com

Shari Hatch
    U.S. Levi Strauss Signature® Brand
    415-501-6393
    E-mail: shatch@levi.com
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish

R

This was mentioned in the documentary From Freedom To Fascism. I don't know about Levi Strauss but there was mention that they started doing this a while ago in some packages of cosmetics and I think men's razor blades.

Freedom to Fascism shows exactly what they have in mind.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wV3Lgklzek

Also this website is a great resource:
    http://www.spychips.com/