Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

America’s Shanghai Surprise: US poor return on education

America's poor return on education investment

America’s Shanghai Surprise

By Bill Costello
    Saturday, December 18, 2010

American students are lagging significantly behind their peers from several countries in Europe and Asia according to new results from a key international assessment. They are the furthest behind students from the Chinese city of Shanghai, who received the top international test scores in math, science, and reading.

“We have to see this as a wake-up call,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Liberal Agenda in public schools:

Teachers union:

No discipline:

If you love your kids and can provide other education,home or private do so.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

DJ
    I am in education and this article brings up a couple of troublesome issues for me--and for teachers in general.

First, you cannot compare scores unless the groups are comparable. That is, the US educates EVERYONE. All students (including those with disabilities) take the same test and are figured into the average score for that test. You cannot compare that result with a country that educates only the most able. I want to know if China's special ed population took the test and was averaged in to this result.

Second, our teachers are at a terrible disadvantage because at least in California, half their class may be English Language Learners. They take the same test and are averaged in. Until we separate students based on ability, we will keep getting the same bothersome and embarassing results when compared to other countries.

I know how hard teachers are workig to bring up the bottom--because that is what is expected. Top kids get little encouagement or actual teaching to their level. Maybe if we can really close the border and deal with all the magnets for illegals, we will see some change. As long as things stay the same, we won't.

[quote]What is China doing right? According to a 259-page OECD report on the PISA results, schools in China “work their students long hours every day, and the work weeks extend into the weekends.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)