Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

American to lay off 1,500 maintenance workers

Posted on Fri, Jul. 18, 2008reprint or license print email Digg it del.icio.us AIM
    American to lay off 1,500 maintenance workers
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TULSA -- American Airlines executives say 1,300 aircraft mechanics and 200 managers and support workers will be laid off from the company’s maintenance organization.

The announcement came as executives in American’s Maintenance & Engineering division met at the company’s offices in Fort Worth on Thursday. American’s parent, AMR Corp., reported a second-quarter loss of $1.45 billion Wednesday.

The company earlier announced furloughs of 900 flight attendants and 200 pilots as the high cost of fuel has reduced flight numbers.

American employs 7,000 mechanics and other workers in Tulsa, 1,900 in Fort Worth and 900 in Kansas City, Mo., as well as several thousand at various line maintenance stations.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/767292.html

It is getting to expensive to take a flight.

Is the government going to bail them out
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Safety may be questionable now with these growing cuts.

Romans 5:8
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sometimes I think global travel is only going to be left for the rich and famous and the rest of us will have to hoof it.

Safety may be questionable now with these growing cuts.
    I saw something yesterday on the news where some airline was passing out packets of cleaning wipes and such because they had to cut plane cleaners and so you had to wipe your own seat and wipe the toliet yourself if cleanliness was an issue for you. I'm waiting on them to ask for volunteer pilots and volunteer stewards before long.....

Please say "it ain't so," crazybird. Ridiculous. The cleanliness thing, outside of safety, is a personal concern of mine and this is not good news. The airlines may start asking for volunteers to serve the passengers due to service cuts.

Romans 5:8
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Please say "it ain't so," crazybird
    I think it was CNN in the morning with Megyn Kelly. She's not fond of flying as it is and this was one additional thing that disturbed her. I'm not sure if it was a report from the cleaners bringing it to light for the public or what.....I was in and out and didn't catch it all. But she was like ewe, you mean I could pick up lice and who knows what else.....and they were like yep, we can no longer guarentee any clean environment because of all the cuts.