America's national debt? It's your fault

By Cal Thomas and Bob Beckel
Updated 33m ago |

Cal Thomas is a conservative columnist. Bob Beckel is a liberal Democratic strategist. But as longtime friends, they can often find common ground on issues that lawmakers in Washington cannot.

USA TODAY OPINION

Today: You and the U.S. debt.
Cal: In a speech last week, House Speaker John Boehner summed up what I see as the great political divide over the economy: "Our mission as legislators is to liberate our economy from the things that impede growth, to provide clear policies so that innovators and entrepreneurs have the green light to move forward and create jobs without having to worry about second-guessing from Washington."
Bob: The same old Republican song.
Cal: Which didn't work for you? A liberated economy? Growth? Innovators and entrepreneurs? Jobs? Oh, I know. You're probably for more second-guessing!
Bob: Cue the laugh track. This speech could be considered a joke if he wasn't in such a powerful position. He said it would be "more irresponsible" to raise the debt ceiling without trillions in budget cuts then to raise it at all. That's crazy talk.
Cal: I think he has a good point.
Bob: Now you're being crazy. It's impossible to accomplish what Boehner proposes in the 10 weeks left before the debt ceiling must be raised. On top of that Boehner wants no new taxes for deficit reduction. If he's serious, we're in big trouble.
Cal: Two recent polls reveal the country suffers from what psychiatry might characterize as mood swings
. A recent USA TODAY/Gallup Poll found Americans are wary and divided about the medicine they might have to swallow in order to reduce government spending. This was confirmed in a New York Times/CBS News Poll.
Bob: You're onto something. A Pew poll last month found that 65% wanted to slash the deficit with a combination of cuts in major programs and tax increases. But wait, there's more! That same poll found that Americans are unwilling to cut Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and education. So it's essentially, "Yes, we must cut major programs. Just not that one. Or that one. Or that one. Or …" you get the point.
Cal: Americans like quick fixes and easy answers. We didn't get to a $14 trillion debt overnight, and it won't be solved overnight. Yet the public is finally starting to feel the debt pressure.
Bob: Well, voters are a big part of the problem. I for one am getting tired of finding excuses for my fellow Americans, who think we can make this country fiscally whole by cutting a few programs.
Cal: Or by simply raising taxes, to challenge your side's version of it!
Bob: Hey, despite your anti-tax rigidity, at least I'm willing to acknowledge that we have to cut away, too. USA TODAY recently reported that about 18% of the nation's personal income comes from the government. Nearly 1 in 5 dollars! Yet — and here's what frustrates me — people are unwilling, apparently, to give any of it back to reduce the deficit.
Cal: People have become too reliant on what President Obama sees as the "social contract." I don't see anything about that in the Constitution.
Bob: Right, Cal. And we don't see anything in the Constitution about regulating the aviation industry, either, but the world changes, and government's role evolves with it.
Cal: Democrats say "evolves" when they mean "grows." But go on.
Bob: My point is the public can't have it both ways. On the one hand people complain about the deficit, but on the other hand they won't give up one bleeping thing to make it happen. OK homeowners, will you give up your mortgage interest deductions? Rich seniors, how about passing on your Social Security check? Corn farmers in Iowa, enough with your ethanol subsidies. What happened to the idea of shared sacrifice?
Cal: My turn? Or Planned Parenthood? Ante up. Or NPR? Build an audience the free-market way. Or the Department of Education? Vouchers, anyone? Or …
Bob: We get it! Now do I smell a pitch coming for your pal Paul Ryan's deficit plan?
Cal: You do indeed. I think the House Budget Committee chairman's plan to revamp Medicare and Medicaid is worth a serious look. People may not like the fact that it's bold and — for some — uncomfortable, but that's where we're at in this debt crisis. Meek and mild will sink our fiscal ship.
Bob: Several proposals from both Democrats and Republicans are being floated, and none agree with Ryan's plan, which only Republicans supported
Cal: And why didn't at least a few Democrats think beyond partisanship?
Bob: Because the Republican plan turns Medicare into cheap vouchers, Medicaid into insufficient block grants, and provides tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires, that's why.
Cal: Millionaires and billionaires?! Don't forget thousandaires. But I suppose acknowledging the broad effect of Ryan's tax cuts would force Democrats to speak truthfully about this to the American people. Can't have that.
Bob: I note that not one of the Republican presidential prospects has gotten behind the Ryan/GOP Plan. In fact, because it shreds the safety net they are running away like scalded dogs!
Cal: You've just put your finger on the problem, and it's why I — and I think you — believe the American people are culpable. You need courage to be bold, but voters too often won't reward bold actions. Or at least not today.
Bob: It takes courage to leap off a cliff into a shallow pool of water, too. And that's a bold step. But courageous is not always smart.
Cal: The real problem is that too many people continue to put too much faith in government to solve the nation's problems. This would include some conservatives. We ought to be teaching the old-time virtues that best prepare someone to be able to stand on their own, make a living and provide for their families.
Bob: Ah, the same old song. You sound like my friend Haley Barbour who wisely decided against running for president.
Cal: Right, because our current path is working out so well. How dare we take a virtuous path. Bottom line, we can't go on like this, demanding more from government and less from ourselves.
Bob: Your point?
Cal: That we are doomed economically and probably in other ways.
Bob: Doomed? What happened to the sunny optimism of conservatives?
Cal: It's been undermined by the Change and Hope wrecking crew. Besides, cultural conditioning has brought us to this point. We must be conditioned to start thinking in a new way, which is really an old way, or else.
Bob: I couldn't agree more. We must all face the deficit now — and I mean every citizen. Instead of complaining, every American ought to consider what he or she is willing to sacrifice in federal benefits and programs. And then vote that way. Engage your government. Contact your representative. Provide political cover for tough decisions on spending and, yes, taxes. The whining needs to stop, and the action needs to begin.
Cal: No, Bob, spending must come down, and as you say, the public needs to get serious about it. If they do, the politicians will follow.
Bob: Well, the late economistHerb Stein said it best: "If something cannot go on forever, it will stop." Our debt trajectory cannot continue on this path. Either we correct it, or the spending will stop in a catastrophic way. And if it comes to this, our politicians and the American people will bear the burden — and yes, the blame.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/fo ... debt_n.htm