Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Anti-Gay Republican Lawmaker At Gay Club Before DUI Arrest

Mar 4, 2010 6:22 pm

Anti-Gay Republican Lawmaker At Gay Club Before DUI Arrest

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― Sources tell CBS13 that a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving Faces, a gay nightclub in midtown Sacramento, early Wednesday morning.

The California Highway Patrol pulled over Senator Roy Ashburn at 2:00 a.m. Wednesday after an officer noticed a black Chevy Tahoe swerving at 13th and L Streets.

The Sacramento County district attorney says Ashburn's blood-alcohol level was .14 percent when he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving near the Capitol.

Ashburn, a father of four, is a Republican Senator representing parts of Kern, Tulare and San Bernardino Counties, with a history of opposing gay rights

When the officer stopped the state-issued vehicle, Ashburn identified himself as a senator. He was arrested without incident and charged with two misdemeanors: driving under the influence, and driving with a blood alcohol level higher than .08% or higher.

A male passenger, who was not identified as a lawmaker, was also in the car. He was not detained.

Ashburn was booked into the Sacramento County Jail and released on $1,400 bond.

Ashburn issued a statement on the arrest Wednesday afternoon:

"I am deeply sorry for my actions and offer no excuse for my poor judgment. I accept complete responsibility for my conduct and am prepared to accept the consequences for what I did. I am also truly sorry for the impact this incident will have on those who support and trust me – my family, my constituents, my friends, and my colleagues in the Senate."

Ashburn served six years as a state Assemblyman before being elected to the State Senate. According to Project Vote Smart, Ashburn's voting record shows he has voted against every gay rights measure in the State Senate since taking office including Recognizing Out-Of-State Same-Sex Marriages", Harvey Milk Day and Expanding Anti-Discrimination Laws.

http://cbs13.com/local/ashburn.arrest.d ... 34505.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ah, another one of those "exploratory trips," but there shoud be rigid rules about getting snockered while exploring.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ashburn takes leave amid questions over his sexual orientati

Ashburn takes leave amid questions over his sexual orientation

Wyatt Buchanan, Chronicle Sacramento Bureau
    March 6, 2010

Republican state Sen. Roy Ashburn of Bakersfield has taken leave from his elected position until at least Monday after his arrest on suspicion of drunken driving started a firestorm over his sexual orientation.

Ashburn, 55, has served in the Legislature since 1996 and consistently has voted against bills that would expand legal protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Californians. The single father of four is among lawmakers with the staunchest records against those issues.

Ashburn was arrested and booked into Sacramento County jail on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol just after 2 a.m. Wednesday. A Sacramento television station cited unnamed sources in reporting that Ashburn had spent the evening at Faces, a large gay dance club a few blocks from where police stopped him. Ashburn was driving his state-issued vehicle. Sacramento station KOVR reported there was another man in the car with Ashburn.

There has been no confirmation of Ashburn being at the club that night, which drew large crowds for a Miss Gay Latina Sacramento competition. But, three sources have told The Chronicle that they have seen Ashburn regularly at gay clubs and bars near Faces. Capitol staffers say it is an open secret that Ashburn frequently visits Sacramento's gay establishments.

One person who said he has seen Ashburn out on several occasions is Christopher Cabaldon, the mayor of West Sacramento, who came out as gay while in office in 2006. Cabaldon said he has seen Ashburn at Badlands and the Depot, two gay establishments across the street from Faces, on multiple occasions and as recently as in the past few months.

"From my own experience I totally understand the fear and issues of being out in politics," said Cabaldon, adding that he did not know Ashburn's sexual orientation.

But, he said, "The hypocrisy - that's what's problematic. The notion that you think it's OK to live in the community and expect that you're going to be safe and protected when you are, during the daytime, doing everything to deny those protections."

Ashburn could not be reached for comment. His staff said they have not had contact with him since the day before the arrest, although the office did release a statement from the senator regarding his arrest that read: "I am deeply sorry for my actions and offer no excuse for my poor judgment. I accept complete responsibility for my conduct and am prepared to accept the consequences for what I did."

In 2004, a reporter with the Bakersfield Californian asked Ashburn directly about his sexual orientation, and the senator said only, "I'm surprised you're asking that," according to the newspaper. A columnist there asked him again last year and he said, "I think there are certain subjects that are simply not relevant and this is one of them. It has no bearing on the job I do."

Ashburn has voted against bills establishing same-sex marriage, banning discrimination based on sexual orientation in businesses, and strengthening anti-bullying and harassment protections for gay youth in public schools.

Equality California, the state's leading gay rights lobbying organization, has consistently given Ashburn a zero-percent rating in its annual scorecard of lawmakers' votes on gay rights. Geoff Kors, the executive director of Equality California, said Ashburn has "one of the worst records of anyone in the Legislature" on expanding rights for LGBT people.

"It's sad for him on a personal level and it's frustrating that someone who is clearly comfortable with gay people would vote against the very rights of the people he associates with," Kors said. He said the organization had requested multiple meetings with Ashburn to discuss legislation but always had been turned down.

Charles Moran, spokesman for the Log Cabin Republicans, a national gay Republican organization, said it is common for conservatives who are not out about their sexual orientation to vote against expanding gay rights.

"A lot of people who are closeted homosexuals think it will give them cover, but instead it increases the heat," Moran said.

He said Ashburn needs to "be honest with his family first and his constituents about what is going on. It's not a crime that he was at a gay bar. The scandal will continue as long as he continues to be dodgy about personal aspects of his life."

E-mail Wyatt Buchanan at wbuchanan@sfchronicle.com.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0hRyjLH67

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1CBFRT.DTL
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senator Roy Ashburn :

" I am not gay, my boyfriend is "