Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arpaio fighting crime and having Christmas dinner

http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=7097

Arpaio fighting crime and having Christmas dinner

Once self-proclaimed as Americas Toughest Sherriff, Arpaio now wants to be called the Toughest Sherriff in the World

Tuesday, December 19, 2006
    J. James Estrada

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is in the Christmas Spirit. In the week leading up to the holiday, he will be piping in "religious songs" to tent city inmates to enjoy. Once self-proclaimed as Americas Toughest Sherriff, Arpaio now wants to be called the Toughest Sherriff in the World. With 3,000 international profiles done on the Maricopa County Sherriff, who can argue with that? And, he has a kindness within in his toughness. This year’s Christmas dinner in tent city will only cost 3 cents per meal. Compare that to the usual cost of 35 cents per meal and you’ll agree there’s a little ho-ho-ho in this jolly old man.

Arpaio has been in his current job for 14 years. He says the recidivism rate for his prison facility is about the national average, or, 60-70%. However, Arpaio calls drugs the greatest driver of crime in the nation. With that, he has instituted a program called ALPHA. The drug program for inmates results in a recidivism rate among graduates in the area of only 13-15%. Arpaio also runs a high school/GED program and an English speaking program. "The inmates need to speak English; my guards don’t need to speak Spanish. We’re in America."

Criticism of his methods (pink underwear for prisoners, green baloney, etc.), has not softened Arpaio through the years. "I just get tougher and tougher. I’m tough, but humane. After all the investigations, I’m still here." In regards to the quality of the food, other prisons in the State and around the nation will average a dollar to a buck and a half per meal. But Arpaio says he doesn’t do it to save money…he does cause "the prisoners deserve to be punished."

Voters keep Arpaio office, election after election. "I work for the people, not a Governor, not a committee, not a bureaucracy. The day I do, is the day I quit." For Arpaio, crime has no boundaries; no good neighborhoods and no bad neighborhoods. "Because drugs are the primary reason for crime, it can be found anywhere."

The Sherriff receives about 130 media requests per month. "I just take care of business. I don’t golf. I don’t go fishing. I have no hobbies. I just work. People must find that I do a good job, that’s why they want to talk to me."

In 2006, Arpaio was most proud of his pro-active criminal investigations. He mentioned the Cactus Towing case in Mesa and the Sandra Dowling embezzlement and fraud investigation at the Thomas J. Pappas schools. With Arpaio, one needed ask what 2007 will bring. Just more of the same is likely.

In the Sherriff’s waiting room, he has copies of Homeland Security Today, Success and a local tourist magazine. It seems Arpaio has his focus. He also doesn’t mind telling others who disagree with him to "shut your mouth. I’ll do it my way." And by the way, he will have his posse patrolling the malls during the heavy buying season again this year. No Grinch here.

Copyright © 2006 Spero
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm not a big fan of cloning, but in Sheriff Arpaio's case, I would make an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Neese
    I'm not a big fan of cloning, but in Sheriff Arpaio's case, I would make an exception.
    Personally, I think Sherff Joe is wasted where he is, we need him running our country instead! I wonder if we could somehow exchange bush for him?
    Build the dam fence post haste!

You're right Nitty, Sheriff Joe could definetly whip this country into shape. He probably has a million ideas that he hasn't told us about yet.