Attention criminals: the inhabitants have been disarmed for your convenience

If I had been told that people would be putting a sign, “Gun free home,” in front of their house I would have assumed it was a joke. I wouldn’t have believed anyone could be that stupid. I was wrong.

The sign might as well say, “Attention criminals: the inhabitants have been disarmed for your convenience.”

Comments

Handle writes:

I can imagine a sign like that becoming common in some neighborhoods. This would turn into a form of social pressure encouraging others to show solidarity and conform publicly by engaging in similar symbolic activity. One wonders what would happen to the homeowner, trying to fit in and get along, who put up such a sign but actually had guns at home. When the inevitable break-in occurs and that homeowner defends his family with firearms then what clever prosecutions for fraud might emerge?

Alex B. writes:

My educated guess is that these people live in a safe white neighborhood, so it’s safe for them to display their liberal faith on their gate like that. They would not do it if they lived in a more vibrant part of town. But then they would most probably not be so liberal in the first place.

Alex B. continues:

I was right in my previous comment. The photo can be found in this article and the caption reads:

A “Gun-Free Home” sign is seen in front of a house along the route to the Chalk Hill School where the Sandy Hook Elementary School children will begin to attend classes in Monroe, Connecticut, January 2, 2013.

January 12

Robert B. writes:

In Minnesota, following the passage of a “shall issue” conceal carry law, many private homes, churches and business’ put the same signs up in front of them—proudly displaying their virtuous liberalism. They also all took them down within a short period of time as the burglars concentrated on them and this fact soon became obvious to all.

Virtuous liberalism announcing itselfSee more — with ConservativeAnchor Show and Satire Works.