Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Authorities seek ammonium nitrate stolen near Utah-Arizona

Authorities seek ammonium nitrate stolen near Utah-Arizona border

ST. GEORGE, Utah -- Dozens of bags of ammonium nitrate, an ingredient that can be used to make explosives, were stolen from a construction site near the Utah-Arizona border, police said.

Ammonium nitrate is used in construction and in farm fertilizers. The stolen material is considered inert, but police are checking local businesses for sales of other compounds that, when mixed with ammonium nitrate, could make a bomb.

"We're looking at all possibilities and hoping it's none of them," St. George police Sgt. Craig Harding said. "We're looking at kids and criminal mischief up to terrorists."

The bags, 30 pounds to 50 pounds, were stolen in October and February from a locked storage facility, Harding said.

Police have no evidence that terrorism may have motivated the thefts, but an FBI terrorism task force in Salt Lake City has been notified. The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is also investigating.

"Who's got a need for this? Why would they want this stuff? That's what piques our interest," said Lori Dyer, an agent in charge of the ATF's Salt Lake City office.

Police have no suspects but found tire tracks at the site, Harding said. The ATF is offering a reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction.

Security at the construction site has been increased.

Information from: Deseret Morning News, http://www.deseretnews.com

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6205424
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Ammonium nitrate is used in construction and in farm fertilizers. The stolen material is considered inert, but police are checking local businesses for sales of other compounds that, when mixed with ammonium nitrate, could make a bomb.
    Ummm... compounds? Ammonium nitrate explosives are made with little more than the dehydrated ammonium nitrate prill and fuel, which could be anything from diesel or fuel oil to nitromethane (AA fuel for dragsters). Gosh, what are the odds that they're going to find someone selling diesel, fuel oil or nitromethane?

I guess they could be looking for sales of powdered aluminum, used in the creation of "homemade C-4," but that's not a compound (it's an element) and there is litte reason to buy it in powdered form when any piece of relatively pure aluminum may be gound to powder with the simplest of tools.

So the question is whether the author of the article is the idiot or whether that distinction goes to the police spokesman.

They could be also using it to make drugs. All kind of weird stuff is used to make meth.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This happened already once in October!

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    Ummm... compounds? Ammonium nitrate explosives are made with little more than the dehydrated ammonium nitrate prill and fuel, which could be anything from diesel or fuel oil to nitromethane (AA fuel for dragsters). Gosh, what are the odds that they're going to find someone selling diesel, fuel oil or nitromethane?

I guess they could be looking for sales of powdered aluminum, used in the creation of "homemade C-4," but that's not a compound (it's an element) and there is litte reason to buy it in powdered form when any piece of relatively pure aluminum may be gound to powder with the simplest of tools.

So the question is whether the author of the article is the idiot or whether that distinction goes to the police spokesman.
    CrocketsGhost-
    Allow me to ask you a personal question please. Are you a member of MENSA? I am just curious, because you seem so knowledgeable on so many different topics.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker

CrocketsGhost-
    Allow me to ask you a personal question please. Are you a member of MENSA? I am just curious, because you seem so knowledgeable on so many different topics.
    I don't have time for MENSA.

Actually, I was invited to join back in the 1980s but I couldn't see much value to membership. People who know me already know that I am a valuable information resource and people who don't know me would just think I was a pompous ass if I told them I was a member of MENSA.

I love your attitude Crocket's Ghost.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    CrocketsGhost-
    I don't have time for MENSA.

Actually, I was invited to join back in the 1980s but I couldn't see much value to membership. People who know me already know that I am a valuable information resource and people who don't know me would just think I was a pompous ass if I told them I was a member of MENSA.
    I agree with swatchick. You have a great attitude.