Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bestiality doc premieres at Sundance

The world of "Zoo" makes some go "Ewww."
    By Kenneth Turan, Times Staff Writer
    January 22, 2007

PARK CITY, Utah — "Zoo" is a documentary about what director Robinson Devor accurately characterizes as "the last taboo, on the boundary of something comprehensible." But remarkably, an elegant, eerily lyrical film has resulted.

"Zoo," premiering before a rapt audience Saturday night at Sundance, manages to be a poetic film about a forbidden subject, a perfect marriage between a cool and contemplative director (the little-seen "Police Beat") and potentially incendiary subject matter: sex between men and animals. Not graphic in the least, this strange and strangely beautiful film combines audio interviews (two of the three men involved did not want to appear on camera) with elegiac visual re-creations intended to conjure up the mood and spirit of situations. The director himself puts it best: "I aestheticized the sleaze right out of it."

Devor and his writing partner, Charles Mudede, live in Seattle and were stunned, as were many in the state, by a story that broke in 2005 about a local man who died after having sex with an Arabian stallion. Though bestiality is not illegal in Washington, the subsequent revelation of the existence of an Internet-based zoophile community (the men refer to themselves as "zoos," hence the title) was a shock.

Though there was the inevitable tabloid fuss, what Devor called "the prurient spectacle," the filmmaker was also "shocked that nobody did an in-depth look at this, that there was no investigative reporting rounding the story out with the psychology involved. I thought, 'This is an opportunity.' "

Though "Zoo" is intent on allowing these men to be heard, Devor's intention was not polemical. "I'm not in there wrestling with the legal or animal cruelty issues," he said. Rather, he envisioned a film like his others: "I count on the natural world pulling my films through. I thought the marriage of this completely strange mind-set and the beauty of the natural world could be something interesting."

In introducing "Zoo" at Sundance, Devor called it "a difficult film and a difficult film to make."

He added: "A lot of people looked at me as if I was an exploitative person, dredging up something for profit, and that bothered me. I was certainly asked many times, often with a wrinkled brow, 'Why are you making this film?' It was something I did resent; I thought artists had the opportunity to explore anything."

In the end, Devor ended up agreeing with the Roman writer Terence, who said "I consider nothing human alien to me."

"It happens," the filmmaker said, "so it's part of who we are."

http://link.toolbot.com/latimes.com/56355
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

To what depraved depths have we fallen!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

This is sick.
    beauty of the natural world
    That director enjoyed the making of this film.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    To what depraved depths have we fallen!
    I read the saying somwhere that God owes Soddom and Gomorah an apology after seeing what America has become.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    And this is kind of filth is what tax dollars go to fund, garbage disguised as art.

Nitty, I have not heard that, but it is so true, whoever said it, understood the level of sickness this country has sunk to.

God has got to be ready to leave us by now.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Here's the archived story on KOMO. You'd think living up here I would have heard about this, but during this time was when my father was ailing, so I listened to the news little. Oh!! This is so disgusting.

http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4158101.html
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"It happens," the filmmaker said, "so it's part of who we are."
    Speak for yourself, why 'we'? This is an attempt at comradery!!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

I thought that it was bad enough when I thought it was only one man. What sickos! Someone was asking for a puking emoticon the other day, it would come in handy today too.

When I had read this, I decided to look up this story. Found the link to the archived KOMO news story and of course showing common decency, the news station did not air the details. However, Wikipedia has more about it and all I can say is, SICK!!

Search for yourselves, I refuse to have a link for it in my posting, although Wikipedia is just a neutral source of internet search info, this story was beyond reprehensible, I think the way to describe these people are "reprobate", here is an explanation of that word:

rep·ro·bate / Pronunciation Key -[rep-ruh-beyt] Pronunciation noun, adjective, verb, -bat·ed, -bat·ing.
    –noun 1. a depraved, unprincipled, or wicked person: a drunken reprobate.
    2. a person rejected by God and beyond hope of salvation.

–adjective
    3. morally depraved; unprincipled; bad.
    4. rejected by God and beyond hope of salvation.
    –verb (used with object) 5. to disapprove, condemn, or censure.
    6. (of God) to reject (a person), as for sin; exclude from the number of the elect or from salvation.

Well that about says it all!

Disgusting! How could anyone give him the greenlight for the film to be admitted into the festival.

They must have their minds in the gutter and than some!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast