Bill Richardson Slams 'Typical' Clinton Gutter Politics

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:08 PM

Bill Richardson came out swinging Easter Sunday, slamming the "gutter" politics which he says is "typical of many of the people around Senator Clinton."

The New Mexico governor made the searing remarks appearing on "Fox News Sunday" with Chris Wallace.

Asked about James Carville's comments, as reported in the New York Times Saturday, that Richardson's endorsement of Barack Obama was comparable to "when Judas sold out [Jesus] for 30 pieces of silver," an angry Richardson told Wallace, "I'm not going to get in the gutter like that."

Then he followed with a blistering attack on the Clinton's inner circle.

"And you know, that's typical of many of the people around Senator Clinton. They think they have a sense of entitlement to the presidency."

He also said both campaigns have been too negative, but then slammed Clinton's campaign.

"And I think it's reached the point where the personal attacks — the 3:00 a.m. phone call ... you know, Senator Obama is patriotic," Richardson said, referencing the Clinton campaign ad that suggests Sen. Obama is not qualified to handle national security emergencies. "He's experienced. He is somebody that can lead this nation," Richardson said.

Richardson had been appointed by President Bill Clinton as Secretary of Energy and later as the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations.

Though still claiming loyalty to the Clintons, Richardson seemed exasperated by their unwillingness to step aside for Obama.

"I just feel the time has come to come together behind a candidate," Richardson said.

"...It shouldn't just be Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton," he said. "What about the rest of us? I got in the race. A lot of other candidates — Senator Biden, Dodd — that are qualified and experienced — you know, Senator Obama representing change...

"So I feel that it's important that we bring a new generation of leadership."

http://newsmax.com/insidecover/Richards ... 82468.html