Bobby Jindal takes aim at Barack Obama in Alabama speech

Published: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 9:21 PM Updated: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 10:11 PM

By George Talbot

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is greeted by Sharon L. Powe, member of Mobile County Republican executive committee. Jindal was the featured speaker at a fundraising dinner for the Alabama GOP Thursday, May 10, 2012 at the USS Alabama Battleship Park. (Press-Register/Victor Calhoun)

MOBILE, Ala. - Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal took aim at President Barack Obama during a speech here Thursday, telling an audience of state Republicans that it’s time for change in the White House.
“He’s the most liberal president in my lifetime, and the most incompetent president since Jimmy Carter,” Jindal said. “Other than that, he seems to be a decent man.”

Jindal was the keynote speaker at a fundraising dinner for the Alabama Republican Party. He spoke to an audience of about 100 inside an aircraft hangar at the USS Alabama Battleship Park.
Jindal, 40, is raising his national profile, making campaign appearances across the country amid speculation that he may join the ticket with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

Jindal brushed off any talk about a vice presidential bid on Thursday — “I’ve got the job I want,” he said — but sounded very much like a man ready to take on the Obama administration.

“Every election is important, but this one truly is the most important election in our lifetime,” he said. “The future of our country is at stake. It’s about preserving the American dream for our children and grandchildren.”

Jindal opened his 20-minute speech by outlining his ideas to revive the American energy industry, calling on the Obama administration to reduce regulations and boost domestic production. Jindal said the U.S. should embrace fracking — a controversial method for extracting oil and gas — allow more drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and approve the Keystone pipeline.

“We need to put energy prices and energy independence ahead of radical environmentalism,” he said.

Jindal, who captured more than 66 percent of the vote in winning election to a second term as governor last year, also discussed his upbringing in Baton Rouge, where his parents moved after immigrating to the U.S. from India.

Jindal, a graduate of Brown University and a Rhodes Scholar, was elected to two terms in Congress before his election as governor in 2007.

“I have lived the American dream,” he said, drawing applause from the audience. “I am living proof that we can achieve anything we want if we’re willing to work hard for it.”

Jindal also touted Louisiana’s economic development and reforms to the state’s education system accomplished during his tenure. He also made a passing reference to the University of Alabama’s win over LSU in this year’s BCS national championship.

“I’ll brag on Louisiana all night,” he said. “The only thing I’m not going to talk about is college football.”

Audience members who dined on jambalaya at $50 a plate said they came to the dinner with high expectations for the speaker — and that Jindal was as good as advertised.

“I’m not going to tell Governor Romney what to do” when it comes to picking a running mate, said former U.S. Rep. Jack Edwards, R-Mobile. “But I’m sure Governor Jindal is right there in the mix.”

Jindal, who whisked out of the dinner promptly after his speech en route to an event in Oklahoma, also attended a private fundraiser for the Alabama GOP at the Mobile home of Angus Cooper III. The event was expected to net more than $35,000, according to party officials.

“He’s a true star within the Republican Party, and we’re excited to have him come visit our state,” said Bill Armistead, chairman of the Alabama GOP. “We want to continue to bring speakers of his caliber across the state as we build momentum heading into November.”
Jindal's travel costs were paid for by the Alabama Republican Party, according to a spokesman for the governor's office.
Bobby Jindal takes aim at Barack Obama in Alabama speech | al.com