Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Broken pencil sharpener earns suspension

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How stupid

BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
    Broken pencil sharpener earns suspension
    Fourth-grader booted for 2 days

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: September 13, 2008
    12:00 am Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A fourth-grade student has been suspended from classes in South Carolina for two days and could face further punishment for having a broken pencil sharpener in school.

According to a report in the Island Packet, covering the Hilton Head Island region, the 10-year-old had a broken pencil sharpener, but he decided to use it anyway.

A teacher at Hilton Head Island International Baccalaureate Elementary School then noticed what appeared to be a small razor blade during class, the newspaper said a Beaufort County sheriff's document reported. Police were called immediately.

Part of a police report after school officials caught a fourth-grader with a broken pencil sharpener

The deputy said it was obvious that the metal insert was what commonly is found in small, plastic pencil sharpeners used routinely by grade school students across the country.

The sheriff's report said the child, whose name was withheld, "said that while he was using his pencil sharpener at home the day before, it came apart. He said that he took the small piece of metal, which was inside the sharpener, to school in order to use on his pencil."

(Story continues below)

The assistant principal confirmed an immediate two-day suspension, and said the piece of metal would have to be kept for a school district hearing "which would be held to determine what if any further action would be taken," the sheriff's report said.

Principal Jill McAden sent a letter home with students to their parents yesterday about the incident.

She accused the student of having "altered" the pencil sharpener.

"Though students are allowed to bring pencil sharpeners to school, it was evident that a detached blade could have created a dangerous setting for the student and/or other children," she wrote.

A T-shirt with a slogan like this bumper sticker has caused trouble for a student in Pennsylvania

The sheriff's report said the student had no criminal intent, and was described as a well-behaved and good student. He cried during the meeting with school officials and the deputy, the deputy's report said.

District spokesman Randy Wall said school officials are caught by the district's zero tolerance policy.

"We're always going to do something to make sure the child understands the seriousness of having something that could potentially harm another student, but we're going to be reasonable," he told the newspaper.

WND has reported on several similar situations, including one where a Pennsylvania student wore a T-shirt to school to express his support for the American war on terror and to honor his uncle, and was told he was not allowed to do that.

Earlier, a student was banned from using a ballpoint pen at school because it had the logo of a gun manufacturer on it, a stylized "G."

A student even ran into trouble for a drawing that officials interpreted to be a weapon.

I thank my God i when to school in the 50's and 60's . When "Everybody" wasn't Insane and gutless . They could make decisions not based totally on paranoia . We have really become a Wimp of a Nation imo
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Quote Originally Posted by tencz57
    I thank my God i when to school in the 50's and 60's . When "Everybody" wasn't Insane and gutless . They could make decisions not based totally on paranoia . We have really become a Wimp of a Nation imo
    I hear ya tencz57, so true!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Glad it wasn't my kid! I would be under the jail.

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Quote Originally Posted by tencz57
    I hear ya tencz57, so true!
    THOSE WERE THE YEARS I WENT TO SCHOOL ALSO. PUNISHMENT WAS BASED MORE ON THE STUDENTS "INTENTION".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The best way

The best way to destroy a mind is to subject it to the American public school system idiots.

That is just nuts. Why didnt the teacher just take it away and throw it in the trash?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is so insane. What happened to the hand-cranked pencil sharpeners that so many of us used that were screwed onto some cabinet in the classroom? I guess no school can afford to sharpen those blades as they have to feed illegal alien kids.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

jonhaloi wrote:
    The best way to destroy a mind is to subject it to the American public school system idiots.
    Very, very true, but unfortunately that is the only choice for many parents as they are too busy trying to put food on the table to be able to homeschool their kids.