Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush was treated for Lyme disease

Bush was treated for Lyme disease, White House says
    Action taken in 2006 after finding of rash that indicated illness
    By David Nitkin

Sun reporter

August 9, 2007

WASHINGTON

President Bush was treated for Lyme disease a year ago after developing a circular rash characteristic of the ailment, the White House announced yesterday.

Spread through the bite of infected ticks, the disease, if unchecked, can lead to arthritis, numbness, paralysis, fatigue and memory problems, according to the Centers for Disease Control. But when the problem is detected early, patients usually make a full recovery after a course of antibiotics, health professionals say.

"What we know about this disease is that early intervention is so much more effective than later intervention," said John P. Krick, head of epidemiology and disease control programs for the Maryland Department of Mental Health and Hygiene. A summary of Bush's current health, released with the results of his recent annual physical, said that last August a red rash with a lighter center, called erythema migrans, was "consistent with early, localized Lyme disease" and was treated "with complete resolution and without recurrence."

The White House did not disclose where Bush might have been exposed to Lyme disease.

"It's not uncommon for him to be mountain biking and receive a tick bite," said White House deputy press secretary Scott M. Stanzel. He said the incident was being disclosed now, a year after it happened, because the White House discloses the president's minor medical conditions only when it releases the annual report.

Stanzel said doctors decided not to do blood tests to determine for certain that Bush had Lyme disease because the treatment worked and he never progressed to other symptoms, the Associated Press reported.

Stanzel said the president discovered the rash - which appeared on Bush's left leg below the knee - but the spokesman would not specify the treatment Bush received, citing doctor-patient confidentiality.

An avid cyclist, Bush frequently rides on trails in Maryland, often leaving the White House on weekends for exercise at a Secret Service training facility in Beltsville or in the woods at Camp David.

The number of reported cases of Lyme disease has been rising in Maryland, which had the nation's eighth-highest incidence of the disease, with 1,235 reported cases, in 2005, the CDC said.

Since his treatment, Bush has become more vigilant about looking for the tiny deer ticks that spread the disease, Stanzel said, and he "does use bug spray and does personal tick sweeps after being outdoors."

Doctors performing the annual physical found the 61-year-old president to be in the "superior" fitness category for men his age, with a low risk of heart disease. Over the past year, Bush's weight dropped from 196 pounds to 192 pounds.

david.nitkin@baltsun.com

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation ... 9665.story

Banned
    but

My sister and brother-n-law have lyme's disease. It has been extremely painful for my sister the past 3 years. She was not diagnosed until a year after being bitten by the tick.

They live in a wooded area that has alot of deer in the area.

If you get treated early with anti-biotics for at least a month you can stop the severity and treat it. If anyone has time, please urge Congress to pass this bill. NJ,CT and New York cases are rising each year.

I'm very happy to here my Congressman, Rep. Chris Smith has introduced a bill to Congress to combat lyme.

[b]Smith’s “Lyme and Tick-Borne Disease Prevention, Education, and Research Act of 2007â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Err I know all about Lyme's Disease I worked in the woods for almost 5 years and I have been bitten dozens of times! Thank god I never got it but I was tested a bunch of times! West Nile was something else I thought I got! Now the only bugs that bother me now are the users I support in the safeness of my cubical!!!
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

My sister living in PA caught lyme 20 years ago, she seems alright now, but there were times where she was wheel-chair bound.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Conspiracy time -

Would they actually diagnose Lyme Disease or any other on the President and not run definitive tests?

Also, why did this President have his colon test done at Camp David?

Just sounds strange - I like to think of the 'whys'.

I heard in a magazine he might have heart problems and hyperthyroidism, but can't confirm at this point.

Doctors performing the annual physical found the 61-year-old president to be in the "superior" fitness category for men his age, with a low risk of heart disease. Over the past year, Bush's weight dropped from 196 pounds to 192 pounds.
    Oh crap. I was hoping for at least a nasty case of shingles. Or maybe a rare disorder that makes him break out into a horrible rash every time he tells a lie.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Here's a report from a couple of years ago, speculating that he might have hyperthyroidism like his parents. If it is true, they are not reporting on it like everything else in this adminstration.

http://pittsburgh.indymedia.org/news/2004/12/16890.php

Would having hyperthyroidism make them not do definitive tests or to not admit him to a hospital for procedure?

Truly, I am just having some fun here, but it just seemed strange that they would take a chance on it being something more than Lyme Disease or that they would not have him in a medical facility to do the colon test.

Oh, dear, I spelled it wrong in the other post - hope I can change it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast