Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush War Adviser Says DRAFT Worth A Look

Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look
    Aug 10 06:25 PM US/Eastern
    By RICHARD LARDNER

WASHINGTON (AP) - Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.
    "I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," Lute added in his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

President Nixon abolished the draft in 1973. Restoring it, Lute said, would be a "major policy shift" and Bush has made it clear that he doesn't think it's necessary.

The repeated deployments affect not only the troops but their families, who can influence whether a service member decides to stay in the military, Lute said.

"There's both a personal dimension of this, where this kind of stress plays out across dinner tables and in living room conversations within these families," he said. "And ultimately, the health of the all- volunteer force is going to rest on those sorts of personal family decisions."

The military conducted a draft during the Civil War and both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. The Selective Service System, re- established in 1980, maintains a registry of 18-year-old men.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Bush picked Lute in mid-May as a deputy national security adviser with responsibility for ensuring efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan are coordinated with policymakers in Washington. Lute, an active-duty general, was chosen after several retired generals turned down the job.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Reinstate the Draft and there wil be many, many illegals disappearing. Guaranteed. It will be the opposite of US guys going to Canada to esacpe the Vietname draft.

Presently they are required by Federal Law to register with the Selective Service System if they are males within a certain age range. This even applies to illegal aliens. Some immigrants with certain visas are exempted.
    There are severe penalties for not registering but the law requires that the person knowingly evaded this requirement. It is also relatively easy for a man to register and it can be done at most post offices. However, since this is a federal law I have been considering whether this might provide some leverage in convincing illegals to leave.

I sent a letter to the Selective Service System, with detailed questions, and did receive a reply. The gist of it is that while Selective Service can crack down on those who do not register, it prefers to go the extra mile to get them to comply. Of course, this does save the taxpayers' money, since any prosecution and incarceration is very expensive these days.

I could see some possibilities for prosecution among religious groups that are both anti-military and OBL. If they are harboring illegal aliens who meet the age requirement the latter could be notified of this obligation. The church, if it is very radical, may advise them to not comply. The SSS even notifies immigrant service groups of the obligation of immigrant young men to register. It does not legall require these groups to act, though. But advising someone to break the law has penalties.

I'm working on some publications to distribute which I hope would have a dissuasive effect on illegal aliens, particularly young men who meet these criteria. This has to be something that they can not just brush aside or laugh off. It truly has to put a scare into them.

Here is a link to the Selelctive Serivce website: click on "registration info" in the L. column and then "Who Must register."
    http://www.sss.gov/

I'll include some examples of the leaflets I propose (bilingual) when I have one drafted, that I deem will be effective.

http://www.sss.gov/
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)