Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

But if we don't hire illegals how will we get cows milked

http://www.agweek.com/articles/?article ... erty_id=41

COVER STORY: Robo-dairy

Mikkel Pates, Agweek
    Published: 07/27/2009

UNDERWOOD, Minn. — Ardy Johansen stands at the northern edge of a robotic revolution in U.S. dairying.

Six months ago, Johansen converted his 105-cow dairy to a two-robot system. So far, he says the machines have increased his herd’s milk production and have eliminated the need for nonfamily hired help. He says the extra freedom makes dairying more livable and perhaps more attractive to the next generation.

Johansen, who turns 42 Aug. 1, has seen a lot of changes in his industry.

The only son in a dairying family, Johansen picked up a two-year dairy science degree at the University of Minnesota-Crookston, then went on to North Dakota State University. In 1989, he emerged with a degree in animal and range science and then joined his father, Merle, on the farm.

Merle, now 76, had been running the farm since 1956. In 1973, Merle had built a 50-cow tie-stall barn.

“We just kept that going until 2000, when I expanded and built a free-stall barn — the double-eight parallel swing parlor,â€
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Some people have gotten lazy, but give them more government help and tax deductions. Milk is expensive and have you priced cheese - doubled in the last ten years. What kind of $MONEY$ are the farmers making by letting the immigrants leave the farmer? The Employment Security Commission (unemployment offices) E-Verify migrate farm workers "ONLY"! All other immigrants ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE I-9 forms E-Verified.
    One employee worked full time about 50 hours a week. Another worked part time, putting in 10- to 12-hour weeks. As time went by, Johansen found that the best of his employees would last a couple of years and then find better-paying jobs in road construction or something else.
    Department of Transportation are some of the Big Government Crooks.

A few weeks ago, the spoke person for the Federal DOT stated that Illegal Immigration is not a DOT problem. It is a Labor Department and Law Enforcement issue.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Don't know about dairy farmers in your area, but in this area of Pennsylvania they are having a really rough time. I pay $1.54 for a half gal of whole milk. I would willingly pay $2.00 if the added cost went to the farmer. Many dairy farmers are calling it quits as they cannot afford to continue.

I also find the price of cheese(s) very reasonable in this area.