Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

CA: Duncan Hunter Bill to Bar Guantanamo Detainees from SD

Hunter seeks to bar Guantanamo detainees from San Diego County bases

9:47 AM, January 22, 2009

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Alpine) introduced legislation today to prevent detainees at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba from being transferred to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar or Camp Pendleton in San Diego County.

“Transferring detainees to these bases would cause an enormous distraction and interfere with [troops'] training and mission requirement,â€

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    HUNTER INTRODUCES LEGISLATION TO PROHIBIT TRANSFER OF DETAINEES TO SAN DIEGO MILITARY BASES

January 22, 2009 1:46 PM

Washington DC – U.S. Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA), a member of the House Armed Services Committee, introduced legislation today to prohibit the transfer of terrorists from the Guantanamo Bay detention facility to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar and Camp Pendleton San Diego. The legislation specifically prohibits the use of federal funds to transfer combatants to Camp Pendleton and Miramar, and the modification or construction of detention facilities at either base.

"The intent of the Obama Administration and Congressional Democrats to close Guantanamo Bay severely undermines our nation’s detention operations," said Congressman Hunter. "The terrorists held at Guantanamo present a serious threat to the security of the American people. At least 61 combatants released so far are believed to have returned to the battlefield, rejoining the fight against U.S. military forces. Closing Guantanamo and bringing detention operations to a grinding halt will not help us achieve victory any quicker or make the American people any safer.

"Amidst the discussion about where to transfer terrorists held at the facility, Camp Pendleton and Miramar have been suggested as possible relocation sites. I could not disagree more with the idea of housing terror suspects on any of San Diego’s major military bases. Camp Pendleton and Miramar are responsible for training our sailors and Marines for combat. Transferring detainees to these bases would cause an enormous distraction and interfere with their training and mission requirements. My legislation ensures that Camp Pendleton and Miramar are not deterred from their wartime operations by prohibiting the use of any federal dollars for the transfer or detention of terrorists.

"At a time when we need stay focused on winning the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, it is irresponsible to close the prison facility at Guantanamo Bay. If the plan to close the prison moves forward, then we must have a serious discussion about where to put these terrorists and the judicial complications that will surely arise from their transfer.

"It is in our national security interests to keep Guantanamo Bay open."

# # # #

http://hunter.house.gov/2009/01/hunter- ... ases.shtml

MW
    I say keep Gitmo open. We certainly don't need the prisoners transferred to the United States.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good! Go Duncan Hunter! He is one of the few good men we have here and we are lucky to have him as our voice of reason!

We dont want ANY third world terrorists here in CA!

I don't know what Oblabber Millhouse Obama is trying to prove here, or why this is so near and dear to his liberal heart, but I will do what ever it takes to keep these creeps out of CA! We have enough problems here!

Dumbo Ears is proving himself to be the nut that I thought he was in only his first day in office!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I say keep Gitmo open. We certainly don't need the prisoners transferred to the United States.
    i agree, because if you transfer em to the US mainland they get the same rights as you and me when it comes to the court system

SCREW THAT

All states should follow Duncan Hunter and stop these terrorists from living anywhere in America.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If the terrorists are moved into the U S will they qualify for amnesty if it becomes law? How about in state tuition?

Murtha!

ShockedinCalifornia, thank you for post. Heard on the radio today that Murtha said he will take the Guantanamo prisoners in his district. This ought to go over well for those in Pennsylvania who voted for him, for that minimum security will really stop terrorists .Here is the article:

Wednesday, January 21, 2009
    Rep. Jack Murtha, D-Pa., says he'd be willing to house prisoners from Guantanamo Bay in his congressional district if President Obama makes good on a plan to close the U.S. prison there.

As one of his first acts in office, the president circulated a draft Wednesday that would shut down Guantanamo Bay within a year.

Murtha only has a minimum security prison in his district. But he says he'd have no reservations about holding detainees there in a maximum security prison.

"Sure, I'd take 'em," said Murtha, an outspoken critic of the Iraq war. "They're no more dangerous in my district than in Guantanamo."

Murtha added that there was "no reason not to put 'em in prisons in the United States and handle them the way they would handle any other prisoners."

But that idea disturbs House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio.

"Most communities around America don't want dangerous terrorists imported into their neighborhoods," Boehner said in a statement.

"The key question is where do you put these terrorists?" Boehner asked.

Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, is introducing a bill that outlaws the release of a known terrorist into the U.S. Smith, the ranking Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said it would be appalling to close Guantanamo.

"If terrorists suddenly get the same rights as citizens, then we've turned the world upside down," Smith said. "We don't think there should be a limit to their detention as long as they are a clear and present danger."

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Ike Skelton, D-Mo., had hoped the president would close Guantanamo Bay. But he said he didn't know how best to handle the prisoners.

"They're very unsavory," Skelton said. "I don't know where you put them."

However Skelton didn't object to them staying in U.S. prisons so long as they weren't housed together.

For his part, Murtha was encouraged by Obama's proposal.

"I have said for two years that we should close down Guantanamo. Close it down. It's a sore in the United States' moral standards. What they have done there has hurt us," he said.

On Sept. 11, 2001, Murtha represented Shanksville, Pa., where one of the four hijacked planes crashed.

By Chad Pergram
    FOXNews.com
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009
    Thomas Jefferson said: When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty !

I've met and talked with Capt. Hunter, he's a good man and will serve his country well.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)