Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA: Local students' letters to Iraq bring surprise: Marines

Thought this was a nice article for a change instead of the negative news we so often read.
    ~~~

Local students' letters to Iraq bring surprise: Marines write back
    By Joe Smilor on April 26, 2009 9:30 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) |

Students from Mentone Elementary school received a welcomed, but unexpected surprise after writing letters to a soldiers in Iraq.

Twenty students from Kathe Vadala's first-grade class and 20 from Lauree Simpson's third grade teamed-up in early March to write letters to a Marine platoon stationed in Iraq. The children are "study buddies," and meet each Friday to work on a reading or writing project.

"We were trying to make writing more meaningful," Vadala said. "We thought this would be a powerful writing assignment."

Vadala was notified of the platoon by a student teacher, whose fiancé was formally with the soldiers.

Each first- and third-grade student pair wrote a handwritten letter to a soldier. The students were given the freedom to write what they wanted in the letters, so each was original.

"We wrote to the soldiers, telling them we were grateful for their service to the country," Vadala said. "Many of the kids asked them questions about what it was like in Iraq or about what they liked."

Vadala and Simpson explained to the classes that they should not expect to get anything in response.

"We didn't build it up as if they would get letters back," Simpson said.

"We hoped to get something back, but you just never know," Vadala said.

In early April, the classes received responses to their letters.

"We were all so surprised," Simpson said. "The letters were handwritten and there was one for each pair that had written a letter."

Vadala's first-grade class wanted to read the letters immediately, but waited several days until they had a chance to meet with their "Big Buddies."

When Friday's meeting time finally arrived, each pair went before the class and read their letter aloud to the others.

"(The kids) listened really well," Simpson said. "I think they were just so surprised to get something back."

"The letters were very sensitive to the students," Vadala said. "One talked about the sand and talked about the baby camels and what they were like."

"The letters were all full of hope," Simpson said. "They talked about how they were proud to be serving America."

"Some were comical," Vadala said. "A lot told the kids to stay in school and how important getting a good education was. They were all very patriotic and positive."

"It made me feel good to get a letter from a Marine, and to know the soldiers are winning freedom for the people of Iraq," said 7-year-old Isaiah."

The students and teachers are planning to put display the letters in the school cafeteria, so the other students may also enjoy them. Students will decorate a bulletin board with red, white, blue, camouflage, and flags.

"We were very fortunate to get letters back, especially for each kid," Vadala said.

The teachers plan to have students in future years write letters to more soldiers and hope those classes are as fortunate.

"It felt good to get letter," said Maverick, 7. "It made me proud. In America, we can be anything we want to be!"

www.insidesocal.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Students in favor of our military and america,I pray they hold on to those principles.

Amen RebelRouser

I am so happy to see people getting involved with our troops. I just feel bad to the Vietnam-era vets that had to put up with protesters and idiots. At least now people acknowledge the sacrifices our troops make. It's just sad that now it's our government that treats our vets like garbage.

God Bless USAFVeteran and other members of ALIPAC that sacrificed themselves for our freedom.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Thanks jshhmr. It is truly a shame how the Vietnam Vets were treated. ALL U.S. Veterans should be treated with respect because they answered the nation's calling and were willing to sacrifice where others are not. Often times they have no say but to follow the orders of the superiors which is essential. It's the politicians who many times deserve the scorn of the nation.

This is a wonderful idea. Give kids an important assignment and in the American spirit, they will rise to it every time.
    I lost my high school sweetheart in Nam, when he was shot down in the helicopter he was flying. And what happened to those that did come home from the war was disgusting. But in those days of even thinking about entering the military was considered "treason" against the anti-war movement. For many there was the draft, which meant a young man either had to go or never see his beloved country again after running to Canada.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well I was born the year that the Vietnam war ended, so everything I know about it is from history. What I don't understand, which you guys might be able to help me with, even though these LSD fueled hippies were against the war, couldn't they at least realize what the troops went through? Why take it out on the people that had to live it? Even today, at least the most liberal of Americans support the troops, it's not really an issue. We might disagree about the war itself, but it's just common sense in my opinion to do as much for the troops and our country and my grandparent's did in their generation during WWII. Now, the troops AND vets are getting screwed by the government. Lives are being destroyed every single day for our returning troops because of the government that sent them into battle. It's just wrong.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&