Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA. More weapon permits likely

More weapon permits likely

By Hudson Sangree
    hsangree@sacbee.com
    Published: Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2011 - 12:00 am | Page 1B
    Last Modified: Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2011 - 9:15 am

New sheriffs in Sacramento and El Dorado counties say they are preparing to fulfill their campaign pledges to make it easier for residents to obtain concealed weapons permits.

El Dorado County Sheriff John D'Agostini and Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said the attack on U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, which left six dead and 14 others wounded in Arizona, hasn't dissuaded them from fulfilling their campaign promises. Arizona does not require concealed weapons permits.

Both Jones and D'Agostini won runoff elections in which concealed gun permits were a major issue.

As the suspect in Saturday's mass shooting, Jared Lee Loughner, 22, made his first court appearance Monday, Jones said the shooting in Tucson had reinforced his faith in California's concealed weapons law.

He said the public is better protected by California's procedures, which mandate gun training, require applicants to show good cause for needing a concealed firearm, and restrict permits to those of good moral standing.

"People who have the power of carrying are also tempered with the responsibility that goes with it," Jones said. "We've never had anybody get shot by somebody holding a (concealed weapons) permit."

Since he took office in December, Jones said "we've had a boom in the number of applications" for concealed weapons permits, but so far none has been issued under his leadership.

El Dorado County's D'Agostini, who took office last week, said his staff is preparing new policies and procedures for issuing concealed weapons permits.

"I haven't signed one yet, but they're forthcoming," he said.

Both D'Agostini and Jones say they intend to use their broad discretion to more freely issue permits to law-abiding citizens who can show cause.

"It's their right," D'Agostini said.

Jones' policy is likely to be more liberal than his successor, John McGinness, who endorsed him.

McGinness, who began his new job as a talk radio host on KFBK on Monday, discussed the Tucson shootings.

In an interview before he went on air, McGinness said he couldn't help wondering what might have been prevented if more citizens at the gathering had been armed.

"It may cause the results of a massacre to be somewhat reduced by virtue of someone in the area being prepared and able to defend themselves with firepower," he said.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/11/331453 ... z1AkYfTypO
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Don't accuse all of the public for a violent act . That is all they would be doing and in some cases that is what they want to do. Disarm America[/quote]
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou