Secretary Of State: Mail-In Ballots In Jeopardy

Possible Closures Of Mail Processing Facilities Causes Election Concern

By Danielle Leigh/KCRAKCRA.com

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA)KCRA.com

California Secretary of State Debra Bowen said she is concerned thousands of mail-in ballots will be delivered late, and wouldn't be counted in both the California primary and presidential elections because of plans from by the United States Postal Service to close more than 200 mail processing facilities to save money.

According to statements by the USPS, the closures could begin in May when a moratorium on the closures expires.
Bowen said the closure of mail processing facilities in California last year extended delivery times of mail-in ballots in Ventura and Monterey counties up to seven days, instead of the one- to three-day USPS standard.
"My fear is that we will have tens of thousands of ballots that come in Wednesday or Thursday and cannot legally be counted," Bowen said.

Records from the Secretary of State indicate more than 50 percent of Californians voted by mail in the past two elections. In the Sacramento region, the average was even higher, just more than 60 percent.

"It just hurts to think about how we have encouraged people to vote by mail, and now, this could result in their ballot not being counted," Bowen said.

Bowen is urging the postmaster general and Congress to postpone the closures until after the election.

"The Secretary of State has sounded the alarm, and I suspect when we go back to Washington next week, there is going to be a major hue and cry -- don't do this. Keep this thing open at least through the election period," said Rep. John Garamendi, D-Walnut Grove.

Garamendi said he plans to support legislation to delay the closure of the processing facilities.

"I understand the need to streamline the U.S. Postal Service, but closing vital distribution centers and more post offices is not the way to do it," added Rep. Doris Matsui, D-Sacramento.

If the closures aren't delayed, Bowen said voters will have to mail in their ballots at least a week before the election, if they want to be sure their ballots will arrive on time.
Voter advocate Kim Alexander said if possible, voters should fill out their mail-in ballots and drop them off at their polling location, if they want to be sure their ballots will be counted.

"I think we are going to have to make an extra effort to educate voters," said Alexander, president of the California Voter Foundation. "It is a situation that requires leadership at a statewide level by the Secretary of State if we are going to try to prevent a potential crisis this year, and make sure people can get their ballots in on time to be counted."

Bowen said legislation is pending in Congress that could postpone the closures of processing facilities.
In an email, a spokesman for the U.S. Postal Service said legislative relief could change the reductions the Postal Service needs to make.

Mail-In Ballots In Jeopardy