Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA-State will have to begin issuing IOUs next week, controll

State will have to begin issuing IOUs next week, controller says

By Eric Bailey
    11:42 AM PDT, June 24, 2009

If the budget crisis is not solved, county agencies, vendors and tax-refund recipients will receive warrants instead of checks, Controller John Chiang warns.

Reporting from Sacramento -- The state controller announced this morning that he will have to begin issuing IOUs next week if California lawmakers and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger don't settle on a solution to the $24-billion deficit.

As lawmakers in both houses began debating proposals for balancing the budget, Controller John Chiang said he would have to issue warrants starting July 2 because of the state's precarious cash position.

Among those who could receive IOUs are county social service agencies, private contractors, state vendors and Californians entitled to income and corporate tax refunds.

Chiang met with Schwarzenegger and legislative leaders this week to warn them of the consequences of further delays.

The controller had to delay some payments for a month in February as lawmakers wrangled over the budget, which since then has been undermined even further by free-falling tax receipts as the economy has continued to decline.

Chiang said the state's cash shortfall is unlike anything "seen since the Great Depression," with a $2.8-billion shortfall anticipated in July that could grow to $6.5 billion by September.

Meanwhile, legislative leaders were saying even before the first vote was cast that key provisions of the Democrat-crafted budget proposal they are considering today -- in particular, tax hikes on the oil and tobacco industries -- will almost certainly fail to garner the necessary two-thirds approval.

That level of support requires the votes of several Republicans in each house.

"In all likelihood we're probably not going to get them," said Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento).

If today's attempts to pass the Democrats' plan flops as anticipated, legislative leaders and Schwarzenegger are expected to gather behind closed doors in coming days to negotiate a compromise.

State officials say that without a solid budget, California government could run out of cash by late July.

eric.bailey@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 0005.story

Are they going to issue IOUs to the State legislators who caused this mess?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Reminds me of Wimpy on Popeye

"I will gladly pay you tomorrow for a Hamburger today"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

FROM the looks of it... Arizona wil be close behind.. Az. Employees were warned that there might be a problem getting paid the Second Pay Check in July!...

Lets see

how the state workers feel when there is no money to put bread on THEIR family's table. /LAUGH

This is how the private sector feels these days ya pin heads...

Re: Lets see

Quote Originally Posted by Tbow009
    how the state workers feel when there is no money to put bread on THEIR family's table. /LAUGH

This is how the private sector feels these days ya pin heads...
    Think they feel it now.. Az. has the second lowest Prison Officers in the US. Most Correctional Officers with Families qualify for food stamps now. PRIVATE SECTOR job equivalent workers have a higher pay scale to begin with and have a MUCH LOWER turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    Reminds me of Wimpy on Popeye

"I will gladly pay you tomorrow for a Hamburger today"
    HAHA!! That's EXACTLY what is going on! My 6 year old LOVES Popeye, but wonders why Wimpy never has the money for his hamburgers. I guess kids have a better understanding of politics than the politicians!
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&