Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA: Whites in State 'Below the Replacement' Level

Whites in state 'below the replacement' level
    Justin Berton, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Michael Macor / The Chronicle

Pedestrians on Market Street reflect the diversity of San Francisco, where whites remain the largest group.

California's white population has declined since 2000 at an unprecedented rate, hastening the day when Hispanics will be the state's largest population group, according to newly released state figures.

There were half a million fewer whites in California in 2008 than in 2000, a period when the state's overall population grew by 4 million to 38.1 million, according to a study released Thursday by the state Department of Finance.

By 2008, whites made up 40 percent of Californians, down from 47 percent at the turn of the century. In 2000, Hispanics comprised 32 percent of the population; that number grew to 37 percent in 2008.

Analysts said the decline can be attributed to two main causes - a natural population decrease as Baby Boomers enter their later years and die at a faster rate than younger whites have children, and a migration from California since 2001 among whites who sought affordable housing as real estate costs soared.

"This is the first decade to see a year-over-year consistent population decrease due to natural causes," said Mary Heim, chief of the Finance Department's demographic research unit.

The study also confirmed projections that a steadily growing Hispanic population will surpass whites as the state's largest racial demographic in 2016. Hispanics are expected to become a majority of all Californians in 2042, Heim said.

Most Bay Area counties reflected the state's shifting numbers - Alameda County, for example, dropped from 41 percent white to 36 percent - while showing spikes in Hispanic, Asian and multirace categories.

Yet, San Francisco's racial mix remained consistent. Forty-four percent of the city was white in 2008, 30 percent was Asian and 14 percent was Hispanic, just as it was in 2000. Only the city's African American population showed a slight decline, from 7 percent to 6 percent.

Below replacement level
    Hans Johnson, a demographer at the Public Policy Institute of California, said white women in recent decades have tended to pursue higher-education degrees and stay in the workplace, leading them to have fewer children. The white population is now "below the replacement" level, Johnson said. "They're simply not replacing themselves."

The median age among California's whites is 44, while the median age for the Hispanic population is 28, according to the study.

Stephen Levy, director of the Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy, said the study also reflected how skyrocketing real estate prices pushed workers from California during the housing bubble from 2005 through 2007.

"This is a good look at what happens when your housing prices get way out of line with the rest of the nation," Levy said. "It will be interesting to see what happens when the market corrects itself."

Reverse of a trend
    Johnson said migration into California was a national trend until the 1990s, when the number of out-of-state transplants began to decline.

Lower-paid California workers headed to cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas and Seattle, where they could make similar wages but pay less for housing.

"California is no longer attracting large numbers of people from other states," Johnson said. "And a lot of those who did come to California from other states were white, reflecting the ethnic composition of the country as a whole.

"Now," he said, "that flow has dried up."

The decline among whites and increase in other groups in California is a long-standing trend, Johnson said.

"It's just faster now."

E-mail Justin Berton at jberton@sfchronicle.com.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0qDPsNuJ5
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Of course the reason is that so many of the Whites are leaving.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Most Bay Area counties reflected the state's shifting numbers - Alameda County, for example, dropped from 41 percent white to 36 percent - while showing spikes in Hispanic, Asian and multirace categories.
    I lived in San Francisco in 1977 visited in 1995 and then again in 2003. When I lived in San Francisco Richmond in Alameda County was 75% White, in 1995 75% Black and in 2003 75% Latino.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Analysts said the decline can be attributed to two main causes - a natural population decrease as Baby Boomers enter their later years and die at a faster rate than younger whites have children, and a migration from California since 2001 among whites who sought affordable housing as real estate costs soared.
    Interesting. So only whites are amongst the Baby Boomers entering their later years and dying at a faster rate than younger people have children and only whites leave California because they can't afford the soaring real estate costs? Are you saying other groups live longer than whites, reproduce more than whites, and have more money to pay for soaring real estate than whites?

Who believes that? No one with 2 live brain cells still connected. There's only one reason for the shift in Demographics and that's illegal immigration and the associated excessive chain migration of the other groups.

I would sure like to know how so-called "poor" "starving" illegal aliens can afford better medical care for longer lives, more kids and more expensive houses than whites.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Interesting. So only whites are amongst the Baby Boomers entering their later years and dying at a faster rate than younger people have children and only whites leave California because they can't afford the soaring real estate costs? Are you saying other groups live longer than whites, reproduce more than whites, and have more money to pay for soaring real estate than whites?

Who believes that? No one with 2 live brain cells still connected. There's only one reason for the shift in Demographics and that's illegal immigration and the associated excessive chain migration of the other groups.

I would sure like to know how so-called "poor" "starving" illegal aliens can afford better medical care for longer lives, more kids and more expensive houses than whites.
    Of course it is all BS. The reason the demographics are changing is whites are LEAVING. Also hispanics have huge litters so they outproduce themselves. This is why their countries are so poor...overpopulation. If you ask me, declining population would be a good thing in Cali. We are overpopulated. The only ones who would suffer are corporations who need an ever expanding population so they can get richer and richer. But at some point overpopulation occurs. We cannot continue to grow in population to satisfy corporate needs. I say we all stop having kids till the population is about half what it is now. Oh ...wait...if we just send the illegals home that would get rid of half the population right there. What is wrong with a sparse population? Nothing...nothing at all. There are many parts of the United States that are still sparsley populated and they do just fine....better, if you ask me. Finally, one of the reasons whites are having less kids is BECAUSE WE CANT AFFORD TO SUPPORT THEM ANYMORE. No job security, depressed wages, skyrocketing housing prices, skyrocketing healthcare costs, schools falling apart. Is this a good environment to raise kids? NO!. So many whites dont have them, or have only one. Give us job security and decent wages, safe schools and affordable housing and WE WILL HAVE KIDS IN THAT ENVIRONMENT.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Simply we are moving into third world status,just a matter of time.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy

Of course it is all BS. The reason the demographics are changing is whites are LEAVING. Also hispanics have huge litters so they outproduce themselves. This is why their countries are so poor...overpopulation. If you ask me, declining population would be a good thing in Cali. We are overpopulated. The only ones who would suffer are corporations who need an ever expanding population so they can get richer and richer. But at some point overpopulation occurs. We cannot continue to grow in population to satisfy corporate needs. I say we all stop having kids till the population is about half what it is now. Oh ...wait...if we just send the illegals home that would get rid of half the population right there. What is wrong with a sparse population? Nothing...nothing at all. There are many parts of the United States that are still sparsley populated and they do just fine....better, if you ask me. Finally, one of the reasons whites are having less kids is BECAUSE WE CANT AFFORD TO SUPPORT THEM ANYMORE. No job security, depressed wages, skyrocketing housing prices, skyrocketing healthcare costs, schools falling apart. Is this a good environment to raise kids? NO!. So many whites dont have them, or have only one. Give us job security and decent wages, safe schools and affordable housing and WE WILL HAVE KIDS IN THAT ENVIRONMENT.
    We have less jobs every year because of technological development so whites who are having fewer kids and seeking affordable housing are doing the right, natural, normal and proper thing.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Finally, one of the reasons whites are having less kids is BECAUSE WE CANT AFFORD TO SUPPORT THEM ANYMORE. No job security, depressed wages, skyrocketing housing prices, skyrocketing healthcare costs, schools falling apart. Is this a good environment to raise kids? NO!. So many whites dont have them, or have only one.
    You're exactly right Redpony! This is why I don't have any kids! Yet, I'm expected to subsidize the out- of -control breeding habits of all the illegal invaders in my state of California, who choose to have as many children as possible.

I'm a college graduate and cannot afford to have even one kid! Yet an illegal invader living in Orange County, CA, can afford to have 3 or 4 ANCHOR BABIES! How is this possible without MAJOR assistance from the tax payers of this state!!

This is one of the reasons whites will become the minority in this state very soon. We're being responsible and in turn, being outbred by lawless invaders!