Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California lawmakers consider $5 billion in budget cuts

California lawmakers consider $5 billion in budget cuts

Kevin Yamamura
    kyamamura@sacbee.com
    Published: Feb. 21, 2010 - 12:00 am
    Last Modified: Feb. 21, 2010 - 11:02 am

In the midst of an economic free fall one year ago, state lawmakers scrambled to pass a $40 billion deficit solution in an emergency session.

Democratic leaders locked down the Capitol for days at a time. A handful of Republicans believed the situation was so desperate that they voted for tax hikes.

The pace is markedly slower this time.

California faces a $19.9 billion deficit, but lawmakers and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger have decided against trying to solve the problem in one February fell swoop. State leaders have held few serious negotiations so far, and legislators are girding for another summer budget battle.

Democrats hope to hold off education and social service cuts until after the governor issues his revised budget in May. Lawmakers say they want to study the impacts of program cuts and hold out hope that revenue will improve. Waiting also helps Democrats delay votes that could hurt key labor and education supporters until after the June 8 primary.

"I am not willing to wade into cutting health and human services and education deeper as our first budget act in 2010," said Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, at the Sacramento Press Club. "Let's see what kind of economic recovery we have, let's see how big the hole is, let's see what kind of revenue options we have. But we've done enough damage. And I'm not happy about it."

The Legislature is considering a $5 billion stopgap plan this week, although most of its solutions will not have an impact until July or later. Democrats crafted the plan to avoid significant political confrontations, relying largely on majority-vote bills that need no Republican votes.

Senate Minority Leader Dennis Hollingsworth, R-Murrieta, said Thursday that the plan relies too heavily on fund shifts and increased tax enforcement on businesses, while it has too few actual spending cuts.

"It's another issue of continuing to not deal with the tough, difficult decisions," Hollingsworth said on the Senate floor. "There are not enough reductions in health and human services and education funding … in order to make the proposal balance and solve the problem."

The most significant action the Legislature will consider this week is approving $1 billion in payment deferrals to ensure California has enough cash to pay its bills in April. That buys lawmakers time to hold off serious budget talks because it averts significant fiscal consequences such as IOUs or bond sale delays.

While it might appear as though lawmakers are simply procrastinating, there is some justification for waiting until the governor's May revision.

Last year, state leaders proclaimed in February they had enacted one of the earliest budgets in state history. But three months later, state revenue declined dramatically and voters rejected several of their budget solutions. They had to reopen the budget in late May, facing a new $24 billion deficit.

"If it gets worse, they're going to have to do it over again," said Robert Huckfeldt, a University of California, Davis, political science professor. "If it gets better, they're going to have to go through this political pain for nothing."

Steinberg said he believes it will get better. He predicted Wednesday that the deficit could drop from $19.9 billion to only $7 billion to $9 billion by the May revision.

The stopgap plan would shave $5 billion off the deficit total. Based on President Barack Obama's budget proposal, California would receive $3 billion in additional federal aid.

The Department of Finance said Thursday the state received $1.36 billion more than projected in January revenue. The state has now collected $1.77 billion more than forecast through seven months of the 2009-10 fiscal year.

There are also negative risks, however. If courts block the state from taking local redevelopment funds, the deficit would increase by $2 billion.

Fiscal conservatives may challenge a gas-tax swap proposed by Democrats worth about $1.8 billion. The majority-vote bill would roll back corporate tax breaks and allow local governments to initiate ballot measures that raise gas fees to pay for transit.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/02/21/255293 ... sider.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I live in Ca and for the life of my I can't understand why we can't get rid of the over 3 million illegals, drill off the coast, and cut welfare benefits instead of cutting education. Of course, since we are a far left state, I guess it makes sense. I sure hope we can get rid of alot of dems and get in real conservative replacements. Of course it will only work if they grow a set.

Quote Originally Posted by agrneydgrl
    I live in Ca and for the life of my I can't understand why we can't get rid of the over 3 million illegals, drill off the coast, and cut welfare benefits instead of cutting education. Of course, since we are a far left state, I guess it makes sense. I sure hope we can get rid of alot of dems and get in real conservative replacements. Of course it will only work if they grow a set.
    Problem is all the far lefties in Hollywood and 'Frisco cannot think logically or add 2+2 together, it's all about "feelings" and "helping poor people". That's what happens when you take drugs for years. Then add in self serving public employee unions. Of course most Californians don't want to pay more in taxes so you end up with a dysfunctional state in perpetual decline that reflects the shallow self absorbed idiots who have gained control here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I live in Ca and for the life of my I can't understand why we can't get rid of the over 3 million illegals, drill off the coast, and cut welfare benefits instead of cutting education . . .
    RELATED

R.I. School may fire all teachers

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-189201.html

Kansas City considers closing 31 of 61 schools

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-1020790.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The biggest problem is that California can't deport any illegal aliens, because no city, county or state law enforcement officer or agency can deport anyone because immigration is a FEDERAL responsibility and only the FEDERAL government can deport anyone. Welfare is a FEDERAL program administered by the state. The FEDERAL government makes the rules as to who the state must give Welfare to. The state must obey the FEDERAL rules or be in violation of FEDERAL laws. So replacing state officials won't really have much affect.
    NO AMNESTY

RELATED

Cuts would end CA. assistance for most new immigrants

February 17, 2010

"Full-spectrum Medi-Cal services for 48,570 new legal immigrants and 65,000 undocumented people who tell the state they are known to immigration officials and their deportation is not being sought. The projected savings is $118 million . . ."

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-1018702.html

Calif. counties cutting healthcare to illegal immigrants

April 26, 2009

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-154312-cal ... healthcare
    NO AMNESTY