Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California Stands to Gain Most From Health Bill

Oh, surprise, surprise!

California stands to gain most from health bill

Victoria Colliver, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, March 22, 2010

Demonstrators in favor of the health care reform bill, above, chant outside the Capitol as the House prepares to vote on the bill in Washington.

The stakes are high for Californians when it comes to the health care overhaul, mainly because the coverage problems in this vast state are so large.

With a new UCLA study estimating that more than 8 million Californians, or nearly 25 percent of the population, lack health coverage, many health experts say California will be impacted more than other states by the reform legislation.

"When this is fully implemented in 2014 or beyond, we will see some two-thirds or more (of the uninsured) getting coverage and, with that, better access to care and more affordable coverage," said Marian Mulkey, senior program officer for the California HealthCare Foundation, an independent philanthropy group based in Oakland.

But not everyone will benefit. Medicare beneficiaries who have certain types of policies may experience disruptions and high-income earners will pay more in taxes. And California will still be left with a large number of uninsured, including illegal immigrants, who either don't qualify for the reforms or are exempted from them.

A last-minute change proposed in the health care bill would benefit Kaiser Permanente, based in Oakland, which covers more than 6 million Californians, and other large nonprofit health insurers. Under the change, tax-exempt insurers would have to pay a new fee levied on insurers, but on only half of their premiums.

With key congressional leaders supporting the plan, California played an important role in moving it forward. The state also helped reignite the stalled debate over the legislation after many of Anthem Blue Cross' 800,000 California policyholders were hit with premium increases of as high as 39 percent.

Rate, cap rules

President Obama seized on the rate increases - which affected individual policyholders who buy coverage on their own rather than receiving it through an employer - in a bid to highlight the less savory practices of the health insurance industry.

The final package does not include the president's proposal to provide federal oversight for unreasonable rate increases. But it does contain a number of changes that will affect a state like California, where the market for individual health insurance operates largely unfettered by rules.

The legislation immediately forbids insurers from placing lifetime caps on how much they will spend on their members, and it prohibits insurers from unfairly canceling coverage. In 2014, when the mandate for Americans to have insurance goes into effect, insurers will be prohibited from denying coverage to people with pre-existing medical conditions.

For Medicare beneficiaries in California, the biggest changes will likely affect those in Medicare Advantage policies. People with Medicare Advantage plans receive medical and other health benefits through private insurance, typically in the form of a managed care plan.

The health legislation is designed to reduce federal payments to Medicare Advantage plans, which the government has been overpaying by about 14 percent compared to traditional Medicare in an effort to steer more beneficiaries into private insurance.

Medicare Advantage cuts

A proposal accompanying a package of legislative fixes taken up by the House on Sunday would deepen planned cuts to Medicare Advantage - from $118 billion to $132 billion over 10 years.

With the reduction in payments, many health experts say insurers will probably increase premiums, reduce benefits or possibly drop out of the Medicare Advantage program.

"You're just going to throw seniors out of Medicare Advantage and throw them onto traditional Medicare," said John Graham, director of health care studies for the Pacific Research Institute, a free-market think tank based in San Francisco.

This will affect California more relative to other states because a greater percentage of Medicare recipients here - 34 percent compared to the national average of 22 percent, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation - have opted for Medicare Advantage policies. That's because of state residents' long history and familiarity with health maintenance organizations, or HMOs, and other types of managed care.

A significant portion of California's uninsured population will remain uncovered after the law goes into effect.

"We have a higher share of immigrants among the uninsured, and immigrants are not going be helped by this bill, particularly the undocumented who are not going to be allowed to buy into the purchasing pool," said William Dow, associate professor of health economics at UC Berkeley.

He was referring to insurance marketplaces, called exchanges, that the law creates for people to buy health coverage - giving them potential economy-of-scale benefits.

The legislation prevents illegal immigrants from receiving federal subsidies to buy coverage, and goes a step further by prohibiting them from using their own money to purchase a policy from the exchange.

Benefits for Medi-Cal

Supporters of the overhaul said the state has a lot to be pleased about. The legislation, for example, increases Medi-Cal payments for doctors and pays almost all of the costs for newly eligible Medi-Cal recipients through 2016.

"California has traditionally gotten less of our fair share of federal funds," said Anthony Wright, executive director of California Health Access. "It's not everything the state of California wanted, but it is an improvement. At the end of the day, this is a bargain not a burden for the state of California."

Roll call

How the Bay Area delegation voted. "Y" indicates a vote in favor of the health overhaul.

Anna Eshoo, D-Palo Alto: Y

John Garamendi, D-Walnut Grove (Sacramento County): Y

Mike Honda, D-San Jose: Y

Barbara Lee, D-Oakland: Y

Zoe Lofgren, D-San Jose: Y

Dan Lungren, R-Gold River (Sacramento County): N

Jerry McNerney, D-Pleasanton: Y

George Miller, D-Martinez: Y

Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco: Y

Jackie Speier, D-Hillsborough: Y

Pete Stark, D-Fremont: Y

Mike Thompson, D-St. Helena: Y

Lynn Woolsey, D-Petaluma: Y

E-mail Victoria Colliver at vcolliver@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page A - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1CIJ56.DTL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Since CA. has the largest population that would seem likely.
    You wouldn't expect the state with the smallest population to benefit the most.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    Exactly!

Count yourselves lucky if you don't live in the "Golden State" which is fast becoming a Third World Country.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat
    Exactly!

Count yourselves lucky if you don't live in the "Golden State" which is fast becoming a Third World Country.
    I live in San Diego, been here 30 years, and it's still Paradise.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Exactly!

I've been here 40 years and I can tell you it is nothing like what it was when I was a kid. Oh to have that California back again....!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    Exactly!

I've been here 40 years and I can tell you it is nothing like what it was when I was a kid. Oh to have that California back again....! :cry:
    Are you sure it isn't your YOUTH that you really want back. I know I do.
    NO AMNESTY

JohnDoe2 wrote:
    "Since CA. has the largest population that would seem likely.
    You wouldn't expect the state with the smallest population to benefit the most."

I think what bothers Americans from outside the states of California and Texas, two states blessed with great independent natural wealth, is the special concessions which those from other states are expected to make in order to make "health care" available to their respective huge illegal alien populations, especially in California - first under EMTALA and now under Obamacare. No one disputes the great beauty of California, but its high costs and extravagent standard of living, built on the backs of cheap foreign labor, is understandably resented by others across the rest of the nation who 1) do not have swimming pools because of the undue use of water needed for other purposes, and 2) still clean their own more modest houses and mow their own lawns. One reads over and over about both Calif. and Texas that the Mexican population now is moving almost entirely unchecked steadily north, creating the horrible poverty of Mexican "barrios" as they come. The failure of Southwestern politicians, beginning with California, to make any effort to discourage illegal immigration is another reason its huge state budget deficits are not subjects of sympathy in other parts of the country.

the rest of the nation who 1) do not have swimming pools because of the undue use of water needed for other purposes, and 2) still clean their own more modest houses and mow their own lawns.
    I have lived in California since 1970. I have never had my own swimming pool, or even lived anyplace that had a pool for my use other than the city pool, just like cities all over the country.
    I have never hired anyone to clean my house or mow my lawn.
    You have a very distorted view of the average people who live in California.
    Most of us are NOT rich movie stars. We work for a living just like you.
    NO AMNESTY

JohnDoe2 wrote:
    "Quote:
    the rest of the nation who 1) do not have swimming pools because of the undue use of water needed for other purposes, and 2) still clean their own more modest houses and mow their own lawns.

I have lived in California since 1970. I have never had my own swimming pool, or even lived anyplace that had a pool for my use other than the city pool, just like cities all over the country.
    I have never hired anyone to clean my house or mow my lawn.
    You have a very distorted view of the average people who live in California.
    Most of us are NOT rich movie stars. We work for a living just like you."

Reply:
    My apologies. When I wrote "surprise, surprise", I intended to convey that California now has the largest population in the country because of the huge influx of foreign nationals, many of them there illegally, and, I am sure, people from other parts of the country, over which native Californians have no control. I'm sure many feel just as futile as people such as I to see their neighborhoods change before their eyes, with no recourse to change the transformation and increased over-crowding of their beautiful state.

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    Exactly!

I've been here 40 years and I can tell you it is nothing like what it was when I was a kid. Oh to have that California back again....!
    Are you sure it isn't your YOUTH that you really want back. I know I do.
    well, maybe a little. To be more specific, I want the California of my youth back. I think I might always look back on this state as one of "Utopia" during my childhood. I can only imagine what people who've lived in a state like MI all thier lives must think when they drive thru Detroit.