Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Candidates put focus on Athens' illegal immigrants

Candidates put focus on Athens' illegal immigrants
    Saturday, August 23, 2008

ATHENS - Candidates for city offices are talking about many of the same things that are issues at every election - roads, schools, public safety, economic development.

However, heading into Tuesday's election of a mayor and two council members, at least three candidates have added illegal immigrants to their list of key issues facing the city.

Mayor Dan Williams and challenger Chuck Yancura have both mentioned addressing the illegal immigration situation, as has Charles Sample, who is running for City Council District 5 against incumbent Milly Caudle.

"I want to find a way to curtail the activities of illegal immigrants in Athens," Williams said. "Legislation to keep local business and industry from hiring illegal immigrants will make jobs and resources available for our local citizens' needs."

Williams, 66, is seeking a fifth term as mayor with four opponents standing in his way.

Williams also wants to extend utilities in west Athens to foster growth, continue fiscal responsibility, provide quality schools, and capitalize on the local hospital and Athens State University.

Like Williams, Yancura is running on the illegal immigrant issue.

"It's time to take a local stand concerning illegal immigration," he said. "North Athens is referred to as 'Little Mexico.' We must take our city back."

Yancura, 70, is a former two-term mayor of Madison who has lived in Athens for more than two years. Planning is key to the city's future, he said.

"Athens does not have a professional planner on staff," Yancura said. "Athens needs to fend off annexation by other cities as we sit here like a deer in the headlights," he said.

Yancura said it's important for the city to provide a first-rate education, pay police and firefighters salaries competitive with other area governments, recruit more retail business and improve roads and utilities.

Mayoral candidate Charlie Baucom, 66, owns a trucking company and has no experience in the political arena. He stresses "no promises, just performance."

He said the city needs more police and firefighters, and needs to pay them better salaries.

"I do believe the city is in good shape financially," he said.

Ralph Richardson, another mayoral hopeful, has said that the city's streets are in bad shape and that the city doesn't need a civic center. He said he could provide the leadership that the city needs.

Repeated attempts to contact mayoral candidate Eric Wise were unsuccessful.

In City Council District 5, Caudle is seeking a full term and Sample is seeking the seat for a second time. Caudle was chosen by the council to fill the seat of Henry White after White was elected to the state Legislature in 2006. White defeated Sample for the office in 2004.

Sample, 62, said his key issue is "to give full representation" to residents of the district.

"We have many problems in the Fifth District that are presently not being sufficiently addressed," Sample said. "One specific key issues that concerns me is the illegal alien problem. The only promise I am making is that, if elected, I will do my very best to work for the citizens of the Fifth District."

Caudle, 78, said she wants to build a new library before building a civic center. She also wants to maintain quality education standards and work with the county, Athens State University and civic organizations to solve problems, create jobs and improve residents' quality of life.

"We need to move toward competitive salaries for city employees, develop an environmental plan, study more economical ways to deliver services, increase the sales tax base through development, and publicize the unique nature of Athens and her citizens," Caudle said.

In council District 2, incumbent Harold Wales is being challenged by Danny Whitfield, who served one term before Wales unseated him in 2004, and by James Putman.

Wales said that law and order is a top issue. "We must have a safe place to raise our families," he said.

He wants the city to provide quality schools and city services. Wales said he has kept his promises to improve sewer service, streets and facilities, and to work with the mayor and others for the city.

"I'm the guy who's going to work hard for you," he said.

Danny Whitfield, 44, said his key issues are to improve roads and utilities, improve communication and cooperation with other governments, recruit new and clean industry and business, and expand recreation.

"Lindsay Lane improvements must be made from Nick Davis Road to Huntsville-Brownsferry Road," Whitfield said. "These upgrades must keep pace with the addition of new homes and the I-65/Tanner interchange."

Repeated attempts to contact Putman were unsuccessful.

Runoffs, if necessary, would be Oct. 7 and the winners take office Nov. 3.

District 3 Councilman Jimmy Gill, District 4 Councilman Ronnie Marks and District 1 Councilwoman Mignon Bowers have been elected without opposition.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

GOVERNMENTS FOR 30 YEARS THE PROBLEM OF ILLEGALS HAS BEEN IGNORED
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)