Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Cash-strapped Florida city loses police, fire protection aft

Cash-strapped Florida city loses police, fire protection after failing to pay bills...
    Pay to Protect: Sheriff Cutting Services to City Over Late Payment

Lauderdale lakes owes $6 million to Sheriff

By TODD WRIGHT
    Updated 9:44 AM EST, Fri, Nov 12, 2010

[img]http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/410*307/080609+bso.jpg[/img]

You get what you pay for, and that applies even in the world of public safety.

The Broward Sheriff's Office has decided to drastically cut services to Lauderdale Lakes because the city has fallen behind in its monthly payments, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

"Let me be clear, we are not abandoning the residents of Lauderdale Lakes, but during these strained economic times, I have an obligation to the taxpayers of Broward County to ensure that services are provided based on allocated funding," Sheriff Al Lamberti wrote in a Nov. 5 e-mail notifying city leaders of the pending change.

The city owes about $6 million, which in these economic times isn't pocket change for a small city. Just last week, the City Commission approved another one-year deal with BSO.

But Lamberti's stance is the city has to pay to play, or be protected. He's made similar threats to the County Commission after complaining about an extra thin BSO budget.

While Lamberti isn't abandoning the city, it certainly appears BSO is taking a leave of absence.

Nine sergeants and deputies will be transferred from Lauderdale Lakes to other BSO-served cities and the city will also lose the use of a ladder fire truck and 12 firefighters.

That could leave residents in a pinch when they call 911 when something goes up in flames, fire union officials said.

"We have no choice but to scale back services to the residents of Lauderdale Lakes," Lamberti said.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat ... 38.html?dr

many links on this post; go to the link above if you wish to view them
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Lauderdale Lakes needs to start some Neighborhoods Watches, buy their own fire truck and 12 foot ladder, train some volunteer firefighters, hire a couple of cops, deputize some armed citizens to assist them during maor crime events and take care of their own community.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The Sheriff Dept looks a little "thick in the middle".

this whole country is in a mess with funding. Where have they been putting our tax dollars over these many years?
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou