Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CBO Broaches Idea of Taxing People for Driving

Friday, 25 Mar 2011 11:43 AM

By Dan Weil

Here’s one that’s likely to go over like a lead balloon. The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has issued a report raising the possibility of taxing people based on how many miles they drive. The idea is that the taxes would help cover the costs of highway maintenance and help prevent the massive budget deficit from expanding further, The Hill reports.

VMT, CBO, taxing, drivers"In the past, the efficiency costs of implementing a system of VMT [vehicle miles traveled] charges — particularly the costs of users' time for slowing and queuing at tollbooths — would clearly have outweighed the potential benefits from more efficient use of highway capacity," the report says. "Now, electronic metering and billing are making per-mile charges a practical option."

http://www.newsmax.com/US/CBO-drive-tax ... /id/390724

Guess it's time for me to get a bicycle and get some exercise! Car's 13 years old and dying anyway.
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

The net result of this would be that people would drive less and therefore federal fuel tax receipts would go down. Does this agency have any economists on board or are all the members community organizers?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by forest
    Guess it's time for me to get a bicycle and get some exercise! Car's 13 years old and dying anyway.
    I started bicycling (again) about nine or ten years ago. But stomach problems have now cut that effort to almost nil. According to Transportation Sec. Ray LaHood we all should be doing that more. But I wonder how much he does!!
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    SHOOT with gas prices as high as they are ive already cut back on my driving.Why not just go ahead and just tax us to death with a new tax.We already paying more in taxes than we bring home on our pay checks.Start riding bikes then they will start taxing bikes,they are going to get all of our money somehow.

Only citizens would pay it, the illegals would just keep busing them in under the table.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn