Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Census Shows Indiana Hispanic Population Booming

INDIANAPOLIS -- New census figures released on Thursday show a 55 percent boom in the number of Hispanics in Indiana, increasing from 214,536 to 389,707 in 10 years.

The increase was even more pronounced in Marion County, which more than doubled its Hispanic population, from about 33,000 to more than 84,000, 6News' Tanya Spencer reported.

The growth has been obvious in neighborhoods, retail areas and in schools.

"Certainly a large increase, just as I had suspected," said Carlos May, Indianapolis' director of Latino affairs. "Over 80 percent of (IPS School No. 96) student body is Latino."

Over the years, Indianapolis police have hired translators for each district to aid in communication between officers and Hispanics. The number of services available to Latinos in Marion County has also increased substantially.

"At least two dozen different nonprofit service providers are geared primarily to the Latino community," May said.

A large effort recently began to ensure families know about the resources, and a new umbrella organization, the Latino American Outreach Association, touts the resources in one place.

The Hispanic Leaders Forum has also formed, providing an informational meeting once a month for people struggling to understand American laws and culture, with a newsletter distributed twice monthly.

At Mama Ines Bakery, on Indianapolis' west side, workers and customers said they think life in Indianapolis is good.

Cashier Ivon Salazar, 29, said she has been in the U.S. for 11 years. She lived in Ohio, but she prefers Indianapolis.

"We have a lot of business for Mexican people and (Hispanic) leaders and help for Medicaid and stuff," Salazar said.

Student Cesar Patino has lived in Indianapolis his entire life, but his family is from Mexico. Patino said services in central Indiana are plentiful and easy to get for Hispanics.

"In school, there's tutors for Hispanic people, and in jobs and hospitals, there's translators," Patino said.

May said he believes 3 to 5 percent of Hispanics in Marion County were not counted by the census.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/26828048/detail.html
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Patino said services in central Indiana are plentiful and easy to get for Hispanics.
    Taxpayers don't need to be paying for this stuff.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Certainly a large increase, just as I had suspected," said Carlos May, Indianapolis' director of Latino affairs. "Over 80 percent of (IPS School No. 96) student body is Latino."
    You can almost detect the sense of accomplishment he takes when reflecting upon the efforts made to colonize Indianapolis.

Over the years, Indianapolis police have hired translators for each district to aid in communication between officers and Hispanics. The number of services available to Latinos in Marion County has also increased substantially.
    If these people were assimilating, then why do they need so many special services specifically for them? I think we all know the answer to that question. These so called "immigrants" do not come cheap, as they require many special services apparently to even survive in this country. Go figure...

"At least two dozen different nonprofit service providers are geared primarily to the Latino community," May said.
    Great...So how much is this costing us, as we all know these “non-profitsâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

At least two dozen different nonprofit service providers are geared primarily to the Latino community," May said.
    Those are programs that could be utilized by citizens in these hard times we face instead of illegals
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

On second thought...isn't this also discriminatory against non-hispanics, especially if they are receiving government grants to further their efforts?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    On second thought...isn't this also discriminatory against non-hispanics, especially if they are receiving government grants to further their efforts?

Yes it is discriminatory!

Quote Originally Posted by OneNationUnderGod
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno

Yes it is discriminatory!
    Let's face it,it is only discrimnation today,when whites use it.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou