Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chinese Fish Ban/Durbin DeLauro

Chinese Fish Ban Spurs Durbin and DeLauro tp Call for Comprehensive Food Safety Agreement Between United States and China

Thursday, June 28, 2007

[WASHINGTON, DC] – In light of FDA’s announcement today to ban five species of fish imported from China, U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) sent a letter urging the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner, Andrew von Eschenbach; the Secretary of Agriculture, Michael Johanns and Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, Michael Leavitt to establish a food safety Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. and China. An MOU is a legal document describing a bilateral agreement between parties. It expresses a convergence of will between the parties, indicating an intended common line of action, rather than a formal legal commitment.

“Today’s announcement reaffirms that ‘Made in China’ is rapidly becoming a warning label for American consumers,â€
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

I guess DICK needs to make it "look" like he is concerned about us. Here's my question though. Why an "agreement" with China? Why isn't he working on a ban on all food/drugs from China? That might impress me.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."