Chris Wallace: 'It's not crazy' for Trump to be concerned about bias at FBI

12/15/17 09:01 PM EST

Fox News anchor Chris Wallace said Friday that President Trump was not wrong to question whether FBI officials are biased against him.

“It’s not crazy for President Trump to be concerned by the bias that is being shown by some members of the FBI at the top levels,” Wallace said on Fox News' "Shepard Smith Reporting."

Wallace's comments were in reference to text messages released this week that show an FBI agent previously assigned to special counsel Robert Mueller's probe into Russian election meddling speaking critically of Trump during the 2016 election.

"If I was being investigated and I found out that people that were investigating me were sending tweets back and forth saying what I terrible I was ... there may well be that there was something there," Wallace said.

The text messages were exchanged between two FBI officials, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, during the 2016 race. Strzok was removed from Mueller's probe in July after the Justice Department became aware of the messages, and Page left Mueller's team earlier in the year.

The texts were uncovered as part of a broad review by the Justice Department's Office of the Inspector General into former FBI Director James Comey's conduct during the 2016 election.

The texts have fueled criticism from some about the credibility of Mueller's investigation, which is looking at whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia to help swing the election.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...oncerned-about