NOVEMBER 30, 2010, 2:13 P.M. ET.

Chrysler to Hire 1,000 Engineers, Others
By JEFF BENNETT

DETROIT—Chrysler Group LLC plans to hire 1,000 engineers and other high-tech workers over the next four months as it expands small and midsized car development, a company executive said Tuesday.

The hiring plan comes after several waves of job cuts over the last three years at Chrysler. Last year, the company underwent a U.S.-financed bankruptcy reorganization and was put into an alliance with Italian auto maker Fiat SpA.

Experience WSJ professional Editors' Deep Dive: Big Hopes, Tiny CarsDOW JONES NEWS SERVICE
The Fiat 500 Shoots for the City
Kyodo News
Honda Unveils Fit EV at L.A. Auto Show
Dow Jones International News
Hyundai Motor Thinks Big With Small Car Relaunch Access thousands of business sources not available on the free web. Learn More About 60% of the hires will be employed directly by Chrysler, while 40% will work through various contract agencies, said Lisa Wicker, Chrysler's recruiting chief. Most will be employed at the company's headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich., she said.

Chrysler plans to use the engineers to develop new small and fuel-efficient cars, engines and transmissions, Ms. Wicker said. Chrysler has said it will launch several models over the next four years that are based on Fiat vehicles.

With the 1,000 engineering hires, Chrysler will have added or announced the addition of 6,000 jobs since its exit from bankruptcy. Its overall total North America employment was 51,663 as of June compared with 47,788 at the end of June 2009. That remains far below the 82,284 Chrysler employed at the end of 2006.

Separately, GM said Tuesday it plans to add 1,000 engineering and research jobs at Michigan locations over the next two years as it looks to expand development of electric vehicles and hybrids.

Chrysler is recruiting on Michigan college campuses and is asking employees to tell friends and family of the opportunities. The company is looking for both experienced and entry-level candidates.

Sarah Richter, a 23-year-old University of Michigan graduate, joined Chrysler's aerodynamics engineering group in June. She was hired through the company's Chrysler Institute of Engineering Program, which allows recent graduates to work while also providing time for them to obtain their master's degree.

"When I was a freshman and a sophomore a lot of the upperclassmen I knew had to leave the state to get jobs out West or in the South," Ms. Richter said. "I was always interested in automotive and I think there are now a lot of opportunities here at Chrysler and a lot of potential for me to grow my career."

Write to Jeff Bennett at jeff.bennett@dowjones.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... Collection