Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Church has no records for burial of nearly 800 children at a mother and baby home

5 June 2014 Last updated at 05:51 ET

Tuam children's bodies: Catholic Church 'has no records'

The unmarked grave is in the grounds of a home which was run by the Catholic Church

Related Stories

A Catholic archbishop in the Republic of Ireland has said the church has no records about the burial of nearly 800 children at a mother and baby home.

The remains were in a disused concrete septic tank at the County Galway home.
    The children, aged between two days and nine years, died between 1925 and 1961.

The grave in Tuam was found nearly 40 years ago, but was initially thought to be from the 1850s famine.

Archbishop of Tuam Michael Neary said he was "greatly shocked" by the news.

"I was greatly shocked, as we all were, to learn of the extent of the numbers of children buried in the graveyard in Tuam.

"I was made aware of the magnitude of this situation by media reporting and historical research.

"I am horrified and saddened to hear of the large number of deceased children involved and this points to a time of great suffering and pain for the little ones and their mothers."

The home was run by nuns of the Bon Secours Sisters.

Archbishop Neary said that regardless of the time lapse involved it was a matter of great public concern that "ought to be acted upon urgently."

"As the diocese did not have any involvement in the running of the home in Tuam, we do not have any material relating to it in our archives.

"I understand that the material which the Bon Secours Sisters held, as managers of the mother and baby home, was handed over to Galway County Council and the health authorities in 1961.

"While the Archdiocese of Tuam will cooperate fully, nonetheless there exists a clear moral imperative on the Bon Secours Sisters in this case to act upon their responsibilities in the interest of the common good."

He said he would make it a priority to work with the families of the deceased, to obtain a "dignified re-interment" of the remains of the children in consecrated ground in Tuam.

Another congregation of nuns, which ran three mother and baby homes, has said it would welcome an independent inquiry into the burial of babies and children in unmarked graves.

The Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary ran homes in Sean Ross Abbey in County Tipperary, Bessborough near Cork city and Castlepollard, County Westmeath.

In a statement to RTÉ News, a spokesperson for the congregation said they would be happy to take part in such an inquiry to establish the truth about what it called a "very sad chapter in the history of Irish society".

'Scandal of significant proportion'
    Fianna Fáil TD (member of parliament) Colm Keaveney, whose home town is Tuam, said the burial of the children in a septic tank was "horrendous" and a "scandal of significant proportion".

"I've called on the government to make a formal apology to the women involved and take whatever action necessary to unearth the truth," he said.

"We need to hear a formal statement from the taoiseach (prime minister) of this country about plans to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of these children.

"These infants were Irish citizens, their treatment and the treatment of their mothers, was grossly unacceptable."

The remains were originally thought to be those of victims of the Irish famine, however, local historian Catherine Corless found that the register of deaths and burials in the town did not match.

"I went to the births, deaths, marriages registration office in Galway and I asked them would they have records of the children who died at the home," she told the BBC.

"When she came back to me, she said, 'We have the records... but there's quite a number.'"

"I was staggered and I was shocked because there's a total number of 796 babies, children and toddlers buried in one mass grave there on that site."

Funds are now being raised to erect a permanent memorial to the dead children.

'Shocking revelations'
    Ireland's Catholic Church has recently been affected by a series of allegations of abuse and neglect of children who were in its care.

People initially thought the grave was for remains of famine victims

"Many of the revelations are deeply disturbing and a shocking reminder of a darker past in Ireland when our children were not cherished as they should have been," said Children's Minister Charlie Flanagan.

"I am particularly mindful of the relatives of those involved and of local communities."

The Tuam home was one of 10 institutions in which about 35,000 unmarried pregnant women - so-called fallen women - are thought to have been sent.

The children of these women were denied baptism and segregated from others at school. If they died at such facilities, they were also denied a Christian burial.

County Galway death records showed that most of the children buried in the unmarked grave had died of sickness or malnutrition.

More on This Story

Related Stories

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27710206
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

'We don't want the babies dug up – we just want them recognised '

Caroline Crawford
    Published 06/06/2014|02:30

The group who believes almost 800 babies were buried in a septic tank near a mother and baby home has urged the State not to unearth the remains.

Catherine Corless carried out a painstaking trawl of records in order to find the burial spot of the 796 babies who were born in or passed through the Bon Secours Mother and Baby home in Tuam.

However, she and the committee behind the discovery – the Home Graveyard Committee – hope the babies can be properly remembered without being moved from their gravesite.

"We want to see a plaque up and the grave finished but we don't want to see them dug up. We just want to recognise them," said John Lowe, a member of the committee.

Mr Lowe said the group would like to see the area concreted over to ensure no one else attempts to dig it up.

"We want to get it concreted because that would finalise it completely. We don't want to see them exhumed. The bishop said that would be an option, but we won't have that. They are going to be there and stay there, they are long enough there. We don't want them moved," he added.

His views were seconded by Ms Corless who said the committee simply wanted to see a plaque erected at the site.

Mr Lowe urged family members who wished to visit the grave to do so. "If people have anything to do with them, relations and such, let them come on the quiet and say a few prayers and move along.

"We're not going to interfere with them. We don't want to know that part of it. What we want to do is get them recognised and if I get that plaque up I'll be happy," he added.

Malnutrition

Ms Corless's research led to widespread condemnation of the treatment of the children who ranged in age from two days to nine years.

She told how she first heard of the grave from locals who were caring for it.

On investigation she discovered the children had been buried in a disused septic tank. When she requested the death records on all the children who passed through the home she was left staggered to hear that 796 records existed.

"I was absolutely astounded when I heard that. I said that couldn't be but she told me she had the death records stating they all died in Tuam," she added.

Among the tragic causes of death given for the children were malnutrition, measles, abscess of the scalp and even laryngitis.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said last night that Children's Minister Charlie Flanagan will appoint officials to investigate the scale of what is involved.

He added: "The Dail records themselves show references to inspections under the system that operated at health level way back in the 1930s."

Ms Corless said that when she researched if the babies could have been buried in other graveyards she could find no records among the existing records for Galway and Mayo graveyards.

"From the 796 names I picked out a group of children from each year and asked for a cross- check to see if there was any name in any of the cemetery books for the surrounding townlands.

"She came back to me a week later and said the list of names I gave her did not appear in any cemetery books."

Anyone who wishes to help fund the project can donate to the Children's Home Graveyard at St Jarlath's Credit Union, account number 12747355, sort code 903971.

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news....cmqQ4kFB.dpuf
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn