Email letter from the National right to work foundation

It was cold, wet and gray. That is how Tuesday began as I drove my oldest daughter, Kelsey, to school. We talked about what was ahead for the day while driving through the slow, congested traffic.

For her, it was mid-term exams as she finishes her senior year and prepares for college next year.

For me, it was off to the United States Supreme Court.

Kelsey asked about the case which we had discussed previously. Several courageous workers had the strength to stand up against a powerful union that trampled their rights and forced them to "speak" against their will for a cause they vehemently opposed.

"How can this be?" Kelsey asked. "How can this be?"

Federal law allows it. Some state laws allow it. But that doesn't make it right – ever!

She wished me luck as I dropped her off in front of her school, and I drove away.

Hopefully, luck will have nothing to do with it, but I thanked her just the same.

The sky did begin to clear and the day warmed nicely as the fog burned off. Finding a parking spot near the High Court was my first challenge – in Washington, D.C., that is always a challenge. It was a short walk down 3rd Street and around the corner to Constitution and then a left on 1st Street.

There it was: the impressive Supreme Court building housed in all that marble and all that history. Today, Dianne Knox and her National Right to Work Foundation attorney, Jim Young, were going to get their chance to "make their case" in front of the nine, black-robed Justices.

After the argument ended, a battery of "stake-out" cameras waited at the foot of the steps, where Jim and Dianne descended from the main entrance of the Court.

This is as close as it comes to portraying the vision and mission of the Right to Work Foundation. And thanks to you, it happened – for the 15th time – on January 10th.

Words cannot convey the gratitude and thanks that all of us here – 13 staff attorneys and the rest of the staff at headquarters – have for your dedication and commitment to this important mission. Without you, our work would not be possible!

As for the Knox case, I'll tell you more about that soon. Hopefully, we will be reporting a complete win for Dianne Knox and the over 30,000 non-union employees of the state of California who were forced to fund a Big Labor "political fight back fund" against their will and ultimately as a condition of their employment.

For now, let me share two photos of what that day looked like as the argument ended around 11:15 a.m. The sky couldn't have been bluer after a bleak, gray start!

And when two reporters saw the union's legal team descend down the steps, they rushed to ask them questions. All they got was an emphatic, "No Comment!"

Not such a "cold, wet gray" day after all.

Thanks again for your partnership and dedication to this cause. We appreciate your generous support. We look forward to 2012 and continuing the battle against compulsory unionism abuse.

Respectfully,

Mark Mix

P.S. The Foundation relies completely on voluntary contributions from its supporters to provide free legal aid.