Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Colin Powell Attacks Critics of Sotomayor

Colin Powell Attacks Critics of Sotomayor

Sunday, July 5, 2009 9:29 AM

Colin Powell, one of the nation's most prominent African-Americans, is going after people who attacked Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor because of her stand in favor of affirmative action.

Powell, who's from the same Bronx neighborhood in New York as Sotomayor, said she should face "a spirited set of hearings" in the Senate. But he said the federal appeals court judge, who would be the first Hispanic justice, shouldn't be condemned for ruling against white firefighters who contended they suffered reverse discrimination.

"What we can't continue to have is to have somebody like a Judge Sotomayor ... called a racist, a reverse racist and she ought to withdraw her nomination because we're mad at her," Powell said in an interview broadcast Sunday on "State of the Union" on CNN.

Powell made it clear that he was referring to critics outside the Senate.

"Fortunately, the senators who will sit on this hearing in the Judiciary Committee, after a few days of this kind of nonsense, said, `Let's slow down, let's examine her qualifications in the way we're supposed to at a confirmation hearing.'" The committee begins hearings July 13.

Powell said Sotomayor has "an open and liberal bent of mind, but that's not disqualifying. But she seems to have a judicial record that seems to be balanced and tries to follow the law."

Powell, a Republican who supported Obama, said his party still is not sensitive enough toward minorities.

He noted that Obama had a significant advantage with Hispanics and African-Americans in the November elections. He criticized Republicans who are not elected to office and "immediately shout racism" against Sotomayor, while accusing Powell of supporting Obama because both men are black.

"We still have a problem," he said.

Radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh has called Powell "just another liberal," said he should become a Democrat and charged that Powell endorsed Obama based on race. Powell said Sunday that Limbaugh "doesn't decide who I am or what I am no more than I decide who he is or what he is."

The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 last Monday that white firefighters in Connecticut were unfairly denied promotion because of their race. The justices threw out a decision that Sotomayor had endorsed as an appeals court judge.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/coli ... 32055.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

who would be the first Hispanic justice, shouldn't be condemned for ruling against white firefighters who contended they suffered reverse discrimination.
    What we have is discrimination and anyone and everyone can discriminate wrongly. Wonder how many time Colin Powell has discriminated? He is afraid it may come out that minorities think that have a right to discriminate.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What a MORON....

Powel is another idiot I see...

"Powell, a Republican who supported Obama, said his party still is not sensitive enough toward minorities" --- Only an insensitive jackass in his own right would say something so stupid.

Mr Powel. We are all created equally and should be treated as such. NO SPECIAL treatment or favors for specific ethnic groups as that is tantamount to racism towards others who do not receive the same treatment or are excluded BECAUSE of their ethnic background.

My parents both worked very hard to put a roof over my head. They HAD to because we live in NJ and already had to subsidize minorities of course, even back then. I went to public school and finished with decent grades. My parents and I spilt the cost of my college as I didnt get any special incentives or financial help from the United Caucasian College Fund.

Give me a break Powel. Every non-american black person Ive spoken to has said American black people are the laziest they have ever seen and believe that they are entitled to everything.

It has become clear to many Americans that Colin Powell is not a true conservative nor is he a true Democrat or Republican. Colin Powell is merely trying to use his own race to advance himself and is making it clear that his kind of racial identity politics supersedes fairness, equality, and sound judgment for the nation.

Many Americans used to look up to Colin Powell, but now it is clear that he was playing the token black race card inside prior Republican administrations.

Sonia Sotomayor's racism and discrimination against white Americans is A-OK with Colin Powell.

W

Powell, a Republican who supported Obama, said his party still is not sensitive enough toward minorities.
    I'm really not sure what that statement means. Since when is a political party supposed to be a shoulder to cry on? Since when is a political party supposed to enable a segment of our population into a state of perpetual victimhood?

It would seem to be that Colin Powell has done pretty well for himself as a Republican. If the Republican Party were so "insensitive towards minorities," then where was his voice prior to Obama? How has he managed to rise to the top as a Republican?

I respect Colin Powell and his service to our country. That has not changed. I will leave it at that. But if the Rebulican Party is so "insensitive," why is he still a member of it?

Listen, believing in the rule of law and expecting our laws to be enforced and border secured is not insensitive towards anyone. In fact, I would consider the opposite to be "insensitive" towards America and her citizens!

I would expect a man who has dedicated his life to defending our country to understand that! Apparently, my expectations are much to high....

Tbow009 states:
    Give me a break Powel. Every non-american black person Ive spoken to has said American black people are the laziest they have ever seen and believe that they are entitled to everything.
    I have heard people say that illegal aliens are better workers than other minorities. But I don't know how the average hard working American is going to make it. Get ready to barter.

And who paid Powell, "We the People", he was a government worker. And now isn't he still profiting somehow via contracts and grants.

ELE

Colin Powell: Another traitor to the American people

I used to have respect for Colin Powell, however, he has proven that he votes race over reason.