Monday, March 22, 2010

China Not As Simple As Krugman Thinks; The Coming Trade War With China

Economist Stephen Roach wants to take a baseball bat to Paul Krugman for his accusations that China is a currency manipulator.

Morgan Stanley's Roach Discusses Yuan, U.S. Economy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH-A1yBt ... r_embedded

John Mauldin also took Krugman to task on March 20 in The Threat To Muddle Through. http://www.frontlinethoughts.com/pdf/mwo032010.pdf

If the Chinese allowed the renminbi to rise, would that make the USA better off? That is the contention of a cabal of critics from Senators to Nobel laureates. Paul Krugman wants to see a 25% tariff on Chinese goods. Today we examine that idea, and look at the real problems that we face. If only it were so easy. The numbers just don’t add up. The fault, dear Brutus…

What Krugman argues is that we should pay more for Chinese goods, so that we will buy less of their goods. As if we wouldn’t buy the same goods from Vietnam or Brazil or Pakistan, if those goods were cheaper than Chinese goods. For the life of me, I can’t see how substituting goods from foreign countries other than China helps our trade deficit.

Are we going to start targeting the currencies of every nation that runs a surplus with us? What about Europe? And Great Britain? Their currencies are dropping against the dollar, in the case of England rather precipitously. Are they pursuing mercantilist policies, Senator Schumer [in reference to his recent scandalous press conference]? What happens when the euro goes to parity against the dollar (and it will!) because the Europeans are having trouble getting their act together? Are we going to demand they force the euro to rise? Tell the ECB to raise rates and shove the whole euro area into an even worse recession?

Do you think Japanese businessmen believe the yen is too strong, and we should make the dollar stronger against the yen? What are we going to do in three years when the yen is at 150 on its way to 300 because Japan is getting ready to hit the wall, due to their massive government deficits? Accuse the Japanese of mercantilism and try and force them to revalue the yen?

Maybe Canada should put a 25% tariff on US goods, because their dollar has risen by almost 40% against ours in the last few years. That would teach us a lesson. It would also destroy trade and a very good relationship.

It is a dicey damn world we live in. We are coming to the end of the debt super cycle, as I have written elsewhere in this letter. It is a very perilous time. Things are going to be hard enough. We have a huge problem with deleveraging and controlling our fiscal deficits, not just in the US but in the entire developed world. Starting trade wars is the absolutely worst possible thing to do. For the US to even suggest that such a policy is reasonable is the worst possible kind of message. Where are the adults in the administration?

They are not the only one who disagrees with Krugman. I did so on March 17 in Pressure Increasing on China to Revalue Yuan; What Can Go Wrong? http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot. ... value.html

Looking At Half The Equation

Krugman conveniently ignores one side of the equation.

A sinking dollar is good for exports, however, given China's regulatory policies as noted in Business Sours on China, it's not at all clear exports to China would rise by much. Indeed, I suspect that China's regulatory restrictions are a far bigger impediment to trade than currency fluctuations.

Furthermore, one cannot (or at least should not) ignore what would happen to the price of imports. A falling currency is not a free lunch.

While I agree with Krugman that China would not dump US Treasuries, the idea that the U.S. has China over a Barrel is preposterous. Mutual deadly embrace with unbalanced winners and losers is more like it.

Shock Effect

Let's consider the global shock effect of a sudden large revaluation of the Renmimbi. The key is the RMB does not float. To get a 40% rise in valuation, China must buy or sell unlimited amounts of RMB against the dollar to maintain the desired price. That might mean a huge hike in Chinese interest rates to make holding the RMB attractive.

In turn, sharp interest rate hikes would likely cause a huge slowdown in China, decreasing China's demand for imports. This is yet another factor that Krugman and those crying "currency manipulator" miss.

And should the US impose a revaluation via tariffs, I would like to point out a little thing called Smoot-Hawley.

By the way, I am all in favor of a huge slowdown in China. I think China is on an unsustainable course, and the sooner and harder China slows the better for everyone in the long run.

However, the consequences of such a slowdown would be huge on the commodity exporters like Canada and Australia. Moreover, a slowdown in trade would slow global consumption.

I happen to think those are necessary adjustments along with more debt writeoffs, but believers in free lunches and Keynesian claptrap sure won't see it that way.

Hopefully this gives you a bit more of an idea as to just what might go wrong with all these simplistic "the Yuan is 40% undervalued - so label China a currency manipulator" ideas floating around.

Not As Simple As Krugman Thinks

Color me skeptical when 99% of economists think Renminbi (RMB) would soar if China floated the currency. Since when have 99% of economists ever been correct?

Baseball bats aside, China is not as simple as Krugman makes it out to be. Michael Pettis agrees as well.

Please consider How will an RMB revaluation affect China, the US, and the world? http://mpettis.com/2010/03/how-will-an- ... the-world/

Although Premier Wen noted again in his speech Sunday that China is “worriedâ€