Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Company in Pelosi's district exempt from wage increase

GOP hits Pelosi's 'hypocrisy' on wage bill

http://washingtontimes.com/national/200 ... -2734r.htm

By Charles Hurt
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    January 12, 2007

House Republicans yesterday declared "something fishy" about the major tuna company in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco district being exempted from the minimum-wage increase that Democrats approved this week.
    "I am shocked," said Rep. Eric Cantor, Virginia Republican and his party's chief deputy whip, noting that Mrs. Pelosi campaigned heavily on promises of honest government. "Now we find out that she is exempting hometown companies from minimum wage. This is exactly the hypocrisy and double talk that we have come to expect from the Democrats."
    On Wednesday, the House voted to raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 per hour.
    The bill also extends for the first time the federal minimum wage to the U.S. territory of the Northern Mariana Islands. However, it exempts American Samoa, another Pacific island territory that would become the only U.S. territory not subject to federal minimum-wage laws.
    One of the biggest opponents of the federal minimum wage in Samoa is StarKist Tuna, which owns one of the two packing plants that together employ more than 5,000 Samoans, or nearly 75 percent of the island's work force. StarKist's parent company, Del Monte Corp., has headquarters in San Francisco, which is represented by Mrs. Pelosi. The other plant belongs to California-based Chicken of the Sea.
    "There's something fishy going on here," said Rep. Patrick T. McHenry, North Carolina Republican.
    During the House debate yesterday on stem-cell research, Mr. McHenry raised a parliamentary inquiry as to whether an amendment could be offered that would exempt American Samoa from stem-cell research, "just as it was for the minimum-wage bill."
    A clearly perturbed Rep. Barney Frank, the Massachusetts Democrat who was presiding, cut off Mr. McHenry and shouted, "No, it would not be."
    "So, the chair is saying I may not offer an amendment exempting American Samoa?" Mr. McHenry pressed.
    "The gentleman is making a speech and will sustain," Mr. Frank shouted as he slammed his large wooden gavel against the rostrum.
    Some Republicans who voted in favor of the minimum-wage bill were particularly irritated to learn yesterday -- after their vote -- that the legislation did not include American Samoa.
    "I was troubled to learn of this exemption," said Rep. Mark Steven Kirk, Illinois Republican. "My intention was to raise the minimum wage for everyone. We shouldn't permit any special favors or exemptions that are not widely discussed in Congress. This is the problem with rushing legislation through without full debate."
    A spokeswoman for Mrs. Pelosi said Wednesday that the speaker has not been lobbied in any way by StarKist or Del Monte.

A spokeswoman for Mrs. Pelosi said Wednesday that the speaker has not been lobbied in any way by StarKist or Del Monte.
    Yeah right... Pelosi at her best.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Yeah, this exemption just HAPPENED to get in there. Yeah, Pelosi, I may have been born at night but it wasn't LAST night.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Pelosi has never been lobbied by those guys? What would Wayne and Garth say? "Yeah, right, and monkies might fly out of my butt!!!"
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

MW
    Okay, now that this problem has been brought to everyones attention - what has been done to correct it?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Company in Pelosi's district exempt from wage increase

Pelosi has never been lobbied by those guys? What would Wayne and Garth say? "Yeah, right, and monkies might fly out of my butt!!!"
    Ex squeeze me...did somebody say Nancy Pelosi? Schwing! We're not worthy, we're not worthy...NOT!! No way...way!

Mrs. Pelosi campaigned heavily on promises of honest government. "Now we find out that she is exempting hometown companies from minimum wage. This is exactly the hypocrisy and double talk that we have come to expect from the Democrats."
    I think I'm gonna hurl!

Wayne's World, Waynes's World...party time, excellent!

Who says Wayne's World and politics don't mix?

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Okay, now that this problem has been brought to everyones attention - what has been done to correct it?
    Seriously, I think we all know the answer to that question. As the self proclaimed "most powerful woman in the United States". I'd say that she will remain safe unless Billary wants to scratch her eyes out. Once the power shifted and the Democrats cleaned house, there is a new Sheriff in town.

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)