Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Congressional Black Caucus Says Jobs For American Citizens

For the first time that I know of, a black organization has specifically called for creating jobs for Americans.

On December 9, 2009, the Congressional Black Caucus wrote a letter to Obama. The first heading is Direct Job Creation and Training. The first sentence under that heading calls for redirecting surplus T.A.R.P. funds "to create jobs for American citizens."

Using T.A.R.P. funds in this way may not be legal, because any surplus funds are, I think, supposed to be used to reduce the federal deficit. Nevertheless it's significant that black congresspeople seem to have abandoned the "rainbow coalition" fantasy.

The CBC wants job creation and training funds to be directed at the poorest Americans. They call for directing funds to any census block where 20% of residents are at or below the federally defined poverty line. As the recession continues, more Americans of all colors will qualifiy.

People who care about unemployed and underemployed Americans should contact their own representatives, to support the CBC on this one.

I'm not buying it, if they really wanted to create jobs for Americans they would support the SAVE immigration enforcement act instead of the Gutierrez amnesty. I don't know if the caucus supports the amnesty but many of it's members do.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It is possible that the consensus in the Caucus could shift to one in which being American is seen as more important than being Minority. Leah Durant should be helped in her work towards this. Do not assume that if their priorities are shifting the Caucus will not wake up to and support SAVE
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think it could be that they define American as anyone residing in the USA legally or not.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

im not sure how much i buy this either because so many in the black caucus are shown as supporters for Gutierrez amnesty push

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    It is possible that the consensus in the Caucus could shift to one in which being American is seen as more important than being Minority. Leah Durant should be helped in her work towards this. Do not assume that if their priorities are shifting the Caucus will not wake up to and support SAVE
    Completely agree. The CBC's letter to Obama calls for funds to be directed to census blocks where 20% of the residents are at or below the federally defined poverty line.

Thanks for mentioning Leah Durant, who I just learned is the Executive Director of Progressives for Immigration Reform. I'll bookmark that organization's site and contact Durant. I'm confident that she already knows about the CBC's letter to Obama, but it always feels good to receive reinforcement for one's work.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    im not sure how much i buy this either because so many in the black caucus are shown as supporters for Gutierrez amnesty push
    Even six months ago I would have agreed. That's what makes the CBC's letter to Obama so significant.

On December 13, 2009, during an interview on TV One's Washington Watch With Roland Martin, CBC Chairwoman Barbara Lee (D-CA) said, "We have to be advocates for our constituents." Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) said, "But we can’t keep going home to our communities, watching this devastation, when we understand and know that the financial services agencies of government are ignoring our people, period."

The interview also included a video clip from Magic Johnson who said, "So, we[‘ve] got to find a way to give these people a skill. Train them. Give them a skill, so we can then put them to work. And what we[‘ve] got to do is come up with a general plan, and then we have to come up with a Latino plan and a[n] African-American plan, ‘cause that general plan won’t affect the African-American male or our community."

During a December 21, 2009 interview with Lloyd Grove on News One, activist-actor Danny Glover said, “On the domestic side, look here: What’s so clear is that this country from the outset is projecting the interests of wealth and property. Look at the bailout of Wall Street. Why not the bailout of Main Street?â€