Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Couple Busted for Refusing to Pay Tip

Couple Busted for Refusing to Pay Tip
    Patrons claim service was so bad, they had to get napkins and silverware for themselves

By DAVID CHANG
    Updated 12:20 PM EST, Thu, Nov 19, 2009

If you’re frustrated by poor service at a restaurant, think twice before you decide to not tip. You may be in for a bit more than just a dirty look from the waiter.

"Nobody, nobody wants to be forced to pay a tip or be arrested for terrible service," Leslie Pope said when her happy hour ended in handcuffs.

Video at below link

Pope and John Wagner were hauled away by police and charged with theft for not paying the mandatory 18 percent gratuity totaling $16 after eating at the Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem, Pa. with six friends.

Pope claimed that they had to wait nearly an hour for their order and that she had to get napkins and silverware for the table herself.

“At this point I became very annoyed because I had already gone up to the bar myself to have my soda refilled because the waitress never came back,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I always avoid places that include gratuity. But I always leave a tip because it leaves a message:

1 penny in the center of a plate - Service sucked
    15% - Service o.k
    20% & Up - Great Service

By not leaving any tip, people may just think you are not the tipping kind.

The reason for mandatory gratuity is because the server is mandated by law to pay tax on the tip. The amount of tips they have to pay tax on depends on the cost of the meals they serve. So back when the IRS started collecting tax on supposed tips, then the customer was required to pay the tip. Kind of wrecks the purpose of a tip in the first place. But if the employee is mandated to pay tax on a certain percent of tip, then they need to make the tip regardless. Everyone does not tip for good service. Especially people who come from countries where tipping is not customary.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)