Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CT: City Looks To Grow With Hispanic Population

WILLIMANTIC, Conn. -- Willimantic business owners say the town's growing Hispanic population is leading them to make changes.

The Windham Regional Community Council announced Wednesday that it has established a partnership with the Spanish American Merchants Association (SAMA).

SAMA is credited with helping to revitalize the bilingual business industry in both New Haven and Hartford.

Willimantic real estate agent Luis Rodriguez said that the city's economy could use a boost.

"I've seen an influx of people moving out of town -- higher taxes, less work," he said. "I really believe the heart of a town is a small business."

The city said it wants to grow with its growing Hispanic population. Channel 3 Eyewitness News reporter Hena Daniels reported that currently, Hispanic students make up 62 percent of the population of Willimantic schools.

"There are several small businesses here -- they need help with financing and marketing so we are here to help take them to the next level," said Angel Sierra of SAMA.

The association said it believes the project will create jobs throughout the region.

The majority of funding for the city's SAMA center will be provided by the state.

E-mail news tips to Eyewitness News, or dial: 866-289-0333.
    Refresh WFSB.com often and watch Channel 3 Eyewitness News for the latest news updates.

http://www.wfsb.com/news/14414426/detail.html

Watch out for all the pro-(illegal) immigrant pandering from city administrators and the town and state media. (Illegal) immigrants are riding to the rescue of Wilimantic. See, we can't do without them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote from article-
    Willimantic real estate agent Luis Rodriguez said that the city's economy could use a boost.

"I've seen an influx of people moving out of town -- higher taxes, less work," he said. "I really believe the heart of a town is a small business."

If many people are moving away due to high taxes and no work-how is a major influx of hispanics or anyone else going to turn the situation around?
    If less people are working that equals less money to spend.

Rawhide!